Chapter 46 : Liam

Start from the beginning

"O negative." he demanded urgently, and Georgia appeared with an IV marked O in the side, and effortlessly slid it into an exposed vein from Liam's arm. The boy had his eyes closed, and breathed heavily while clinging onto the metal railing on the side of his bed. "Uh Mr. Tomlin--" "Louis." he corrected while taking out a thick needle, and some metal-like string wound up on his arm. "Mary, aesthetic." he ordered sternly. Mary arrived seconds later and plunged the needle to the boy's other arm not occupied by the IV.

"Alright, Louis..." I corrected myself. "What exactly is going on here? Is there anyway I can help?" he held up his index finger indicating for me to wait another minute as he finished sewing up the boy's wounds. "Some sponges and a bucket-full of water would be nice." he smiled as he snipped of the remains of the string, and flung it on the trash. I nodded understandingly returning within a minute, and quickly handing it to him. "Thanks." he muttered, and he started cutting up the boy's thin white shirt drenched with I'm assuming was his blood. The boy remained still, but it was evident that he was sleeping with faint heaves of his chest up and down.

Louis wiped the boy's wounds clean of blood, dried them, then wrapped some bandages around it. He wiped his dampened forehead with his cuffed sleeves that hung loosely around his arms, and whispered some relieved words to the boy who quietly slept, with some snores escaping his lips. Louis finally turned to me.

"This boy.." he looked at the brunette for a short second then flickering his gaze on me. "is Liam Payne." I gawked. "The Liam Payne? You're kidding right?" I've heard vaguely about this boy on the news, but alot around my workplace. He happened to be a boy genius who made it to SS at the finish of his secondary-studies from the University of Wolverhampton. He was a legend, but something happened with one of his mission, and suddenly his files were deleted from our systems. Very little knew of the details around his case, but no one would dare ask around.

Louis coughed snapping me out of my train of thought. "I'm guessing you've heard of him?" he smiled knowingly, and I nodded. "Who hasn't?" Louis barked up a laugh while he rinsed his hands clean.

"Then I'm guessing you know of what happened to him?" I shook my head. "Barely anybody knew.." Louis hummed as he prodded unknowingly. "I'd mention the details, but I'm sure Lili here would like to tell you himself." I chuckled lightly at the nickname and nodded. I'd wait till he woke up.

~*~

Liam weeks later sat down on a chair by the fire while sipping at his tea. His eyes seemed blank at the moment, as if he was blocking out reality. He did not notice my presence until the floor creaked from beneath me, and his eyes snapped to my direction.

"H-Hello." he mumbled shyly as he indicated to the chair right by him. "You're Liam Payne." I snorted as blood rose to his cheeks and silently nodded. "Wow." I raised my voice a little and held out my hand. "Nice to meet'cha Liam, I'm--" "Zayn Malik, I'm quite a-aware of y-you.." he stuttered as he took my hand for a short handshake then gripping hard on the arms of the cushion with his knuckles shaking slightly. I gasped slightly. "Y-you know about me? H-how?" I questioned.

He chewed slightly on his bottom lip trying to stumble upon the right words. "W-well you w-weren't exactly a wallflower." he shrugs with a small smile on his face. "Wow.." I mused. "A legend who knows me..." His features darkened with his eyebrows furrowed, and a frown quickly replaced his lips. "No." he whispered slightly. My eyes darted to him in confusion.

"No?" I repeated cautiously. "I'm no legend.... Why is everybody saying that?" his voice rose slightly, and I leaned back on my chair wanting for him to relieve himself of the burden that was hidden before, and now was exposed. "I mean sure, I got the job when I was 19, but come, on... I'm no genius.. My dad had great connections with the government, and I had a sense of duty towards protection. And what to do you get? A job for the secret service... Nothing about that proves intelligence Zayn... Nothing, so please stop calling me a legend." I remained silent letting the words sink in.