belladonna

1.

Belladonna

''Belladonna, n.: In Italian a beautiful lady; in English a deadly poison. A striking example of the essential identity of the two tongues'' ~ Ambrose Bierce

In the world of nightshade,

The Atropa Belladonna.

A dancer whirls around,

With toxic laughs, vivid smiles and funny little twirls.

~Amba Smith, Belladona's Curse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The same red hair that Bella was ridiculed for when she was younger was now complimented and praised, and she tried her best not to grimace when strangers asked to touch the dark strawberry locks cascading below her rib-cage.

It was all different now, but yet completely the same. Her new-found beauty was scorned by her relatives, ''Is she starving herself? Last time I saw her, she was like a baby whale! Now she's all skin and bones, wearing the tightest clothes and talking to older boys!. She's growing up to be such a whore just like her mother.''

Did it even matter?

When she was fat, her relatives still hated her. Now she's skinny and she's still being hated by the same pathetic neighborhood women that called her mother  a slut.

But Bella is no stranger to their husbands' sleazy glances when she walks by.

She's beautiful now, she says looking at herself at the mirror. Boys liked her. The same boys that pushed her against the wall and laughed while calling her ''pig'' and ''fat slut''.

Bella still remembers the ''oink, oink'' noise they would taunt her with everytime they saw her eating lunch.

She also remembers the cruelty of the girls who ducked her head in the toilet and started rumors, more awful than the last.

Bella smiles, it had been 3 years since she moved from Saffron County to Oregon with her mother

But she's back in Saffron and she's entering the second year of Saffron County High where she knows that most of her middle-school peers would be.

In her three years of Oregon, she learned things. Things like attracting and manipulating boys and breaking their hearts like child's play. Things like stealing booze and liqueur from parents' cabinet without getting caught. Things like getting high from perception pills and getting fake I.D's to have fun and grind against random strangers at the club.

Her three years at Oregon were so far the best mistakes in her life,

But she's back in Saffron where she knows the booze is better, the guys are hotter, the girls even more bitchier and there were more hearts to shatter,

she's come back to seek revenge

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the world of nightshade,

Where whispers flow dry,

Where your eyes don't see reality,

Your sanity is a lie.

~Amba Smith