Chapter 2: Elisia Awakens

Start from the beginning

I pinch myself there is no way I'm Elisia! I grimace as pain shoots through me. I search the room for a calendar of some kind but don't see one.

I groan and look down at myself and can guess I'm on the cusp of puberty. Before she met Dimitri and lord Evergreen, considering my hair is still long. I roll my shoulders and pop my knuckles as I think.

A knock on my door makes me jump.

"Lady Elisia, your father has asked for you to come down to breakfast. He has some very serious news," a maid asks from the other side of the room. I huff and tell her to come in.

I look at the younger woman, she had burnt orange hair and green eyes, Augusta, or Aug for short. I nod at her as she enters going over to the vanity.

"How would you like your hair, my lady?" She asks.

"Up and away as usual," I say trying to act like Elisia.

"This is the first time in a while your father has called on you, don't you think you should make an effort?" Aug asks.

"No, why would I? He doesn't care, so why should I?" I say straightening my back.

"Yes, milady," She says, "What dress would you like to wear?" she asks. I bite my lip at the idea, while I love dresses, I don't want to wear that many layers right now and Elisia does wear pants often because she was a knight to be. But she isn't in knight training yet, a dress it is.

"Ugh, how about the emerald green one?" I ask gesturing to the dress at the back. She smiles and nods.

"Good choice," she says with a hearty smile. She finishes twisting my hair up and grabs the dress. She pulls out the chemise, the corset, the corset blender, the undergarments, and the stockings. I huff and she helps me get dressed. She does the corset loosely, but it still makes my heart pound at the memory of drowning in my own blood. I push it away and cram that memory into a box and seal it.

"So, milady. What do you think?" Aug asks putting two green, emerald earing in and clasping a delicate green, emerald next to the seal that showed I was a Reygnheart. The only thing Elisia had left of her mother and her most prized possession. I grabbed it and fiddled with it.

"I look beautiful, good job Aug," I say because, in all honesty, I did look beautiful...well not me Elisia looked beautiful.

"Thank you, milady," she said blushing. I stand following Aug out of the room; Aug was only a couple of years older than Elisia and was Elisia's only maid. So, they were together often and that means I had to be the most careful around her.

I take a deep breath as I stand outside the dining room. I look over to Aug for affirmation, she nods with a smile. I give her a small smile and nod back. If only she knew I wasn't Elisia.

I push open the door and instantly the air in the room becomes tense.

"Ah, Elisia we've been waiting for you," Elisia's father says. I think his name was Gordan, but he's hardly mentioned in The King's First Knight.

"Then I apologize for making you wait," I say taking the seat to the left of Elisia's father. I look over and see Oleander and his mom next to me. Oleander looks at me with fear clouding his eyes, his mother looks at me with indifference. I look across from me and see Alfonse. He looks at me with contempt. Instantly I want to leave.

"It's quite alright, it's still early. I just wanted you to be aware of what is going to happen next month," he says getting started. The maids start putting food down in front of everyone. I become saddened when I get a bowl of oats. I look around and see much yummier food being served to the others. Oli gets French toast with strawberries and whipped cream. I look in jealousy.