CHAPTER 22: FORT LEADER VOTE

Start from the beginning

Tamara glanced at Verath's large glittering form. "He's breathing," she confirmed, trying to calm Desaree's frantic sobs. "He's alive." To her mate, she silently said, "I'm going to kill that Shield."

"He started acting strange," Desaree managed to explain. Tamara snorted, as if Verath hadn't already been acting strange for days. "But...but I could tell it frightened him. I thought we were going to die, Tam. He went into a steep dive. I barely managed...I almost fell. When he put us on the ground, he didn't even land. It was more of stumbling and sliding and then he just...he just..." Desaree burst into a fresh wave of tears. "We've been out here for hours. All night. I thought no one would..."

"Shhh...." She combed her fingers through Desaree's hair. "We're here now. It's all right. You're both safe."

A series of images and words raced through her mind. Byron's. He was alerting the others to their location and informing them that Verath was alive.

While she was comforting Desaree, Byron began circling Verath. He lifted his hands and began speaking, voice low as he crafted an incantation. She couldn't help but watch in fascination as Byron used magic to roll Verath into a more comfortable position, ensuring that his forearms and legs weren't resting at odd angles and that his tail was spread behind him. Nothing seemed to be broken, or if it had, Verath's magic had already long healed it.

She'd only just started her training with magic. After everything that had happened at Fort Squall, and their trip down to Kastali Dun, there'd been no opportunity to begin until they were safely settled. She'd only just started learning the language and small words. She could summon bits of light and do simple things with hot and cold, move small objects, and the like. She certainly wasn't anywhere as skilled as Byron.

"There now, see?" she said, patting Desaree's hair. "Byron has him in a comfortable position now. He'll be all right."

"I'm so angry with him for volunteering," Desaree cried. "He could have been killed."

"Could have, but he wasn't," Bryon said, striding over. He took Desaree's free hand and gave it a squeeze before turning his gaze to the skies. "The others should be here shortly."

"What are we going to do?" Desaree said, wiping her eyes on the back of her hand, sniffling. Tamara pulled a clean handkerchief and handed it over.

"Well, there won't be any moving him in this form. I'd say our best bet is to let the poison run its course. We're only a few hours from the capital. We can get a couple of tents together—set up camp. Don't worry. You won't go through this alone, my lady." With that, Byron paid Tamara a quick, knowing glance, then stalked back over to Verath.

"I'll make sure the others bring plenty of refreshments," she added in quieter, soothing tones, "and warm clothes." She had only just realized Desaree was shivering. "Here, come rest against Verath. His warmth will keep the chill away." The tension in her shoulders began unknotting once she'd seen Desaree comfortably settled in the crook between Verath's forearm and his chest. Verath's eyes were closed, and his breath steady. He may as well have been sleeping deeply, which made sense because he never answered any of Byron's telepathic calls.

She ground her teeth together then let out a long, calming breath.

***

Hours later, tents were constructed and a comfortable camp born. Much to her surprise, Bedelth had agreed to bring both Saffra and Jocelyn. She supposed that Claire having flouted propriety forged the way for others. But she didn't miss that it was Bedelth who delivered Saffra with her handmaiden, and not any of the other Shields.