Alex Ovechkin

Erin's Point of View

My eyes snapped open. It was Monday. We hadn't had practice yesterday, but today it was back to the grind. We had a dangerous game tomorrow against the Washington Capitals. They were strong this year from what we'd seen, and we had to be ready. Johnston and I worked the boys hard, but they were fine with it; they wanted to be ready. The rest of the day passed quietly, with a trip to library for a cook book and an experimental dinner that resulted in me getting carry out.

Sidney and I went out to lunch the next day after morning skate. He seemed ready to play against his rival, Alex Ovechkin, but he could not sit still as we ate, and I finally decided to comment on it. "What's gotten into you? Did someone slip you an energy drink or something?" I joked.

"It's a rivalry game tonight," he said, but there was something more.

"Ovechkin got you all scared? I've never seen you this on edge about a game before," I told him.

"It's not Ovechkin," he murmured.

"Then what is it?"

"Annalise is coming to watch me play," he said quietly.

"And you are... Excited? Scared? Worried?"

"I don't know. I shouldn't feel anything, it's just a regular game."

"Well, she's important to you and she's coming, so you're going to feel something," I said.

"How is she important to me already? We just met!"

"You had a connection. I don't know how else to explain it," I replied.

"Should I be nervous?"

"Just play your game. Play the way you always play and she'll be impressed," I said.

"Does it impress you?"

"You never fail to impress me, Sidney. I don't think you'll ever stop impressing me," I admitted.

"That's all that matters, then," he replied. As we ate, his phone kept vibrating. He ignored it, but I could tell he was itching to look at it.

"For God's sake, Sidney! Just read the damn text messages!"

"I don't want to be rude," he said.

"Sidney, just answer the text messages! I don't care," I replied.

"It's Annalise," he said after reading them, "She wants to know where I am."

"Tell her," I shrugged.

"What's she going to say if I'm out with you?"

"Well, it's not a date; it's just what we do. If she trusts you, she won't mind."

"She wants to know why I'm with you and not her."

"It's our ritual, but if you want to start hanging out with her before games, that's fine," I said.

Sidney looked up sharply, "You'd change things for me?

"What are friends for?"

"Erin, you're the best," he smiled, and I knew I couldn't be too upset if he was so happy.

We walked into Consol at the same time as the Capitals team and I watched as Alex Ovechkin, one of the greatest players in the League, walked by. Granted, I was in the presence of Sidney Crosby, but I still wasn't used to the fact that I got to work near the greats. Alex looked down at me and smiled, then looked at Sidney and smirked, but didn't say anything. Sidney and I parted ways to get ready.