Not triremes full of demigods, Eden thought.

Trivia Sweat gazed at the Rock of Gibraltar. Eden recognized that brooding expression on her face. It almost always meant that she anticipated trouble.

"In the old days," Trivia Sweat said, "they called this area the pillars of Hercules. The Rock was supposed to be one pillar. The other was one of the African mountains. Nobody is sure which one."

"Hercules, huh?" Percy frowned. "That guy was like the Starbucks of Ancient Greece. Everywhere you turn — there he is."

A thunderous boom shook the Argo II, though Eden wasn't sure where it came from this time. She didn't see any other ships, and the skies were clear. Maybe underwater.

"So . . . these Pillars of Hercules or whatever. Are they dangerous?" Eden asked. "I love danger."

Trivia Sweat stayed focused on the white cliffs, as if waiting for the Mark of Athena to blaze to life. "For Greeks, the pillars marked the end of the known world. The Romans said the pillars were inscribed with a Latin warning—"

"Non plus ultra," Percy said.

Trivia Sweat looked stunned. "Yeah. Nothing Further Beyond. How did you know?"

Percy pointed. "Because I'm looking at it."

Directly ahead of them, in the middle of the straits, an island had shimmered into existence. Eden was positive no island had been there before. It was a small hilly mass of land, covered in forests and ringed with white beaches. Not very impressive compared to Gibraltar, but in front of the island, jutting from waves about a hundred yards offshore, were two white Grecian columns as tall as the Argo's masts. Between the columns, huge silver words glittered underwater — maybe an illusion, or maybe inlaid in the sand: NON PLUS ULTRA.

"Guys, do I turn around?" Leo asked nervously. "Or . . ."

No one answered — maybe because, like Eden, who was a genius, they had noticed the figure standing on the beach. As the ship approached the columns, she saw a dark-haired man in purple robes, his arms crossed, staring intently at their ship as if he were expecting them. Eden didn't really care much, but judging from his face, he wasn't happy.

Frank inhaled sharply. "Could that be—?"

"Hercules," Perfect Jason said. "The most powerful demigod of all time."

The Argo II was only a few hundred yards from the columns now.

"Need an answer," Leo said urgently. "I can turn, or we can take off. The stabilizers are working again. But I need to know quick—"

"We have to keep going," Trivia Sweat said. "I think he's guarding these straits. If that's really Hercules, sailing or flying away wouldn't do any good. He'll want to talk to us."

Eden hated talking to people that weren't Piper and Leo. She hated it here.

"Won't Hercules be on our side?" Piper asked hopefully. "I mean . . . he's one of us, right?"

Perfect Jason grunted. "He was a son of Zeus, but when he died, he became a god. You can never be sure with gods."

Eden remembered their meeting with Dionysus in Kansas — another god who used to be a demigod. He hadn't been exactly helpful. If she became a god, she'd be helpful.

"Great," Percy said. "Eight of us against Hercules."

"And a satyr!" Hedge added. "We can take him."

"I've got a better idea," Trivia Sweat said. "We send ambassadors ashore. A small group — two or three at most. Try to talk with him."

"I'll go," Perfect Jason said. "He's a son of Zeus. I'm the son of Jupiter. Maybe he'll be friendly to me."

"Or maybe he'll hate you," Percy suggested. "Half brothers don't always get along."

Eden felt attacked by that comment.

Perfect Jason scowled. "Thank you, Mr. Optimism."

"It's worth a shot," Trivia Sweat said. "At least Jason and Hercules have something in common. And we need our best diplomat. Somebody who's good with words."

All eyes turned to Piper.

"Fine," she said. "Just let me change my clothes."

"As long as I come with you!" Eden cut in, and everyone looked at her. "What? Just looking after my girl. Besides, I bet that Hercuknees would absolutely adore meeting me. We're both bitter heroes, after all. Bet y'all ten bucks."

Trivia Sweat frowned. "I don't know . . ."

"She's coming with us," Piper looked over at Eden, who pressed a kiss to her cheek. "I trust her."

Eden snorted. "You should," she gestured down below. "But hells yeah, I'm fucking changing."