Giant

"Charlie," Isabelle says quietly as she approaches him, a letter in her hands. She stares down at it as if she can't believe her eyes.

Immediately, the red headed man frowns and stops what he's doing, coming over towards her.

"What?" he asks, the word coming out more like a grunt than an curious question. Isabelle doesn't seem to mind, though — she never does.

"I just got an owl from Dumbledore," Isabelle says, not looking up at him, just continuing to stare down at the letter in her hands.

It's been several weeks since the first Triwizard Tournament task, and obviously, Charlie, Isabelle, Elena and Daniel were all extremely eager to hear all about it in Florin's letter from Dumbledore. The Hogwarts Headmaster told them that Fleur got the Common Welsh Green, and that she managed to enchant it to sleep so that she could slip past it and get the golden egg — the aim of the task.

Krum got the Fireball and he managed to Confund it, but not before hitting it in the eye and causing it to smash half of its eggs; Cedric got the Short Snout and Transfigured a rock into a Labrador, making the dragon chase that instead of him; and Harry, to everyone's shock and horror, was landed with the Horntail.

According to Dumbledore, however, he performed spectacularly, Summoning his broomstick and weaving his way around the Horntail to grab the golden egg. Apparently even Krum was impressed with his skill, which got Charlie extremely excited: "I had no idea Harry was a brilliant flyer!" he exclaimed as soon as Florin told them the news.

"What does Dumbledore have to say to you?" Charlie asks, furrowing his brows.

"He wants me to teach at Hogwarts," Isabelle says, her voice still shocked, her eyes still wide.

"What?" Charlie exclaims, dropping the shovel he was using to clean up dragon dung and coming up to stand beside her, staring at the letter himself.

"He says that Hagrid has been humiliated by this Rita Skeeter woman in the Daily Prophet, and that he is refusing to come out of his cabin, even to take his Care of Magical Creatures lessons," Isabelle says, as Charlie's eyes skim the letter in Dumbledore's loopy handwriting. "So he wants me to fill in for Hagrid for a short period of time, until he feels comfortable enough to leave his house."

"Merlin," Charlie breathes, finishing the letter at the same time Isabelle finishes explaining it. "What's gotten Hagrid so upset?"

"This article — here," Isabelle says, handing Charlie a piece of folded up newspaper, "Dumbledore sent me a copy."

Charlie takes it, staring at the article for a moment, before he begins reading. It's topped with a picture of Hagrid looking extremely shifty.

DUMBLEDORE'S GIANT MISTAKE

Albus Dumbledore, eccentric Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has never been afraid to make controversial staff appointments, write Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent. In September of this year, he hired Alastor 'Mad-Eye' Moody, the notoriously jinx-happy ex-Auror, to teach Defence Against the Dark Arts, a decision that caused many raised eyebrows at the Ministry of Magic, given Moody's well-known habit of attacking anybody who makes a sudden movement in his presence. Mad-Eye Moody, however, looks responsible and kindly, when set beside the part-human Dumbledore employs to teach Care of Magical Creatures.

Rubeus Hagrid, who admits to being expelled from Hogwarts in his third year, has enjoyed the position of game-keeper at the school ever since, a job secured for him by Dumbledore. Last year, however, Hagrid used his mysterious influence over the Headmaster to secure the additional post of Care of Magical Creatures teacher, over the heads of many better-qualified candidates.