Nineteen

Amazon

By the time Emris returned to the village, night had descended.

There was a fire raging outside of one hut. She noticed a few of the Eternals gathered around it, and she approached timidly. Emis tugged at the hem of her shirt, at unease, and when the others glanced at her, she felt as though what had happened with Ikaris was written all across her face. Her cheeks flamed just thinking about it, and she hurriedly shoved it out of her mind.

She claimed a seat on the grass beside Sprite. Emris cleared her throat, asking Sprite, "Where is everyone?"

Sprite was leaning back on her hands, her arms armored straight and the tip of her nose lifted to the sky. The flames of the fire basked her in a warm hue. "Didn't you hear? Ikaris and Sersi left earlier this afternoon for the states to get Phastos."

Emris drew her knees up and rested her chin on one arm. She gazed into the cackling fire, the vibrant oranges and reds hissing and they spewed heat. "And Thena?" she questioned, tone absentminded.

She saw Sprite shrug out of the corner of her eye. "Who knows."

"Emris!" Kingo called excitedly from across the fire, only then realizing she had joined them. "Where the hell have you been, loca?!"

Emris stared at him. Looked at Sprite. Then back to Kingo. "What?"

Kingo belted out a laugh, elbowing Kuran in giddy movements.

"It is trend on TikTok, Ms. Emris!" Kuran wheezed through titters. "See, Boss, I told you she would think it funny!"

Kingo slapped Kuran on the back, making Emris jump. "HA!" he blurted, eyes bulging. "You were right, Kuran, you were right!" He jutted a finger at her. "Just look at that stupid look on her face!"

Emris blinked.

She glanced at Sprite to see if she knew what was going on, but Sprite had her head buried in the palms of her hands, as though the two men gave her a headache.

Emris looked back at Kingo and Kuran, who were still pointing and laughing at her, and she made a face. "So funny," she deadpanned. "I am dying of laughter."

Sprite lifted her head and let Kingo fester beneath her deathly glare. "Please, never talk about TikTok - or reference Twilight - " she grated, "again. Makes me want to kill myself," she muttered, staring into the fire.

Emris had to agree with her.

Kingo's laughter died and he looked offended. "Sorry for trying to provide a little comedic relief," he sniffed, nose upturned. "Your little mortal friend here has looked terrible ever since that incident with the deviant, but I guess I won't try to get that hideous, death-like look off her face anymore since it bothers you so much."

"Hey!" Emris interjected, but Kingo ignored her.

"I don't see your sarcasm saving us, Sprite." he finished promptly.

Kuran let out a chorus of low notes. Sprite, it seemed, did not appreciate the statement. Glancing at Emris, she muttered, "Excuse me while I go drown myself now. Don't wait up for me."

Before Emris could reply, she had already gotten to her feet and was stomping away. Emris stared at the spot she'd been sitting for a long moment, utterly confused. She turned back to Kingo when he made a disgusted noise, her perplexion of all that had just unfolded still forefront in her mind.

"Kids!" Kingo exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. To Emris, he said, "They're so moody, am I right? I bet you were moody when you were younger, weren't you, uh - " he paused and scratched his head. "What was your name again?"