Eighteen

Note:

It's finals week!! Sadly :( So, you know what that means - updates are going to be a little infrequent this week. All of my finals but one are tomorrow, so hopefully I have a little time in between studying on Tuesday and Wednesday to get another chapter up. Otherwise, I come home Thursday and then I will have a whole month of free time dedicated solely to updating this book!! 

Hopefully this chapter satisfies you guys enough until I can update next . 

Get ready ;)

Amazon

"Mate!"

Sprite groaned and stuffed her face into her hands.

Emris grinned despite herself. "All these years on me and you're still sorry at chess."

"You probably pulled some witchy mind trick and cheated," Sprite defended. She slumped back in her chair, arms crossed. Emris received the full brute of her glare.

"Losing isn't a good look on you, Sprite," Emris fired back. She reached out a hand and tipped Sprite's king forward, symbolizing her demise. "Next time," she smirked, "don't bet on something you can't win. Now, pay up."

Emris brandished her palm to Sprite, waiting. The girl rolled her bright eyes, a frown twisting her lips. She dug for something in her pocket, then leaned forward and plopped it into Emris's hand. Emris put them on immediately and flashed Sprite a large smile.

"How do I look?"

Sprite clicked her tongue at her. "Not as good as me, clearly. Though, I did warn you."

Emris gave her a funny look. "You're just jealous," she remarked flippantly. Emris settled back into her own chair, smug. "Up for another go? I have had my eye on that ring of yours..." Emris trailed off, losing her train of thought when the door opened and a certain Eternal walked in.

Emris cleared her throat and took the retro sunglasses off. She set them at the table beside her and glanced over at Sprite.

Understanding flickered through her eyes. "I'll leave you guys alone," she stated. Sprite stood and turned to go, shooting Emris one last look before she walked out. Emris figured it meant something along the lines of, "try not to bite his head off".

She could make no such promises.

Emris spoke first. "What do you want, Ikaris?"

He nodded at the sunglasses. "They suit you."

Emris lifted a brow at him, her arms crossed. She looked him up and down, saying, "Why, because they cover up my hideous, gouged out eye?"

Ikari drained of color and he moved towards her. "No! No, I - that's not what I - " he blanched, clearly distressed, his face tight.

Emris choked out a laugh, but it was shallow and indifferent. She did enjoy seeing him flustered, but it did not bring her as much amusement as it once had. "Really, Ikaris, just forget the pleasantries and tell me what you want," Emris cut in through his blubbering at long last.

Ikaris straightened. Looked at her fully, face blank. "I'm leaving."

Emris picked at something on her pants, indifferent. "So am I."

"No, you're not," Ikaris said slowly.

Emris's head shot up and she stared at him. "What do you mean, 'no'?" Her legs uncrossed and Emris stood, the action taking everything in her to keep the grimace off her face. "We're going to Phastos. Sersi said -"