I stared up at him, embarrassment seeping through my anger. Laurence had been true to his word. The articles he had shown me in his office never came out. I thought he had been trying to blackmail me. But... "You liked me?"

"Still present tense," he said, his back to me.

"But I've done nothing but treat you like crap. I monologued about your socks... and that horrible plant."

He turned and gave me a hard smile and a sad laugh. "I know, it surprises me too." 

Laurence crossed his arms, frustration furrowing across his brow. "What I don't understand is why you just confessed to wanting me, only to turn around and freak out when I did something about it."

I pursed my lips, my cheeks burning angrily. "I thought you were... someone else."

His face fell, understanding crossing his dark eyes. "Ah. Your repulsed face after I kissed you now makes a lot more sense."

"I've never been known for subtlety."

"Shocking," he said, his tone teasing, betraying his guarded body language.

I motioned down to his feet. "I like the black socks."

He gave a hollow laugh. "Yeah? Better than the white ones?"

I nodded. "A vast improvement..."

The conversation died. Leaving a blanket of awkward silence as we stood there staring at his socks. Unsure of how to handle the situation like a normal person, I turned and began to walk away, dazed and frazzled by the entire ordeal. I needed the entire evening to be over but paused when Laurence called after me. 

"I would say I am sorry I kissed you..." He shrugged, lips tugging up slightly. "But that would be a lie."

I looked back at him, tempted to throw my shoe at his head, and froze, spotting a figure standing behind a set of trees in the distance. I swore, suddenly remembering a camera flash. A flash that filled my vision the moment Laurance Royal kissed me.

OH MY GOSH...

Rage surged through my veins, replacing all embarrassment. "I knew it! You did plan this!" I hissed, my eyes snapping back to Laurence. "I can't believe you would stoop so low!"

He followed my gaze and stumbled into my train of thought, shaking his head wildly. "No! That's not—"

I bolted away, moving as fast as I could, afraid that I would lunge at him and try to rip him to shreds if I looked at his face. He was probably laughing, amused at how easily fooled I had been. I knew this dress was too big. I should have made it smaller. Then I could have beaten him senseless!

I shook my head, killing the thought, angry tears threatening to stream down my face. No. I don't want another scandal. I want to be better than jumping to violence the first chance I get. Just keep walking.

I felt like an idiot. I had assumed I was talking to Tate and had acted impulsively. The first time I had admitted my feelings and it had been to the wrong man. GREAT GOING ALLIE!

"Allie!" Iz shouted in the distance. "Allie, where'd you go?!?"

"Coming!" I shouted back, my voice sounding broken and uneven.

I was halfway up the ramp that lead out of the hedge maze, following the sound of Iz's voice when a hand-pulled me to a stop. "Hold on Allie," Laurence said, his tone insistent.

I pulled my arm away and glared up at him. "Don't start! Pictures are going to be all over the internet in less than an hour! And there is nothing I can do to fix it other than to get as FAR away from you as possible!"