Chapter 7

The mist lay in a low blanket over the front lawn the next morning when I ran out to get in Ceci's car. I had my black riding pants on with sneakers, since I kept most of my riding gear at the barn. A fleece vest over a long-sleeve t-shirt, my hair French-braided, and my makeup carefully done. There would be at least a few Instagram photos happening today, and I didn't want to look like a slob. "You're putting on makeup to go hang out at the stable all day?" Mom had said that morning.

"Yes," was my reply. She didn't say anything more.

I had a granola bar and a bottle of water for me and an apple for Stewie, but I was hoping we would hit Starbucks before the stables. I was going to need something more substantial to get me through.

"Oh, you're already dressed to ride? I hope you don't mind stopping for coffee," Ceci said when I hopped into the front seat.

"Yasss," I said. "I am in need of caffeine."

"Sweet. Text Angelika and Maddy and see what they want. They're meeting us at the barn."

When we stepped into Starbucks, I closed my eyes and inhaled that sweet scent of fresh ground coffee, which is why I did not see who was working at the counter.

"Ugh, it's Ella Pee-body," Ceci muttered.

I opened my eyes. The white-blond head sported two pigtails today, along with enough eye makeup for three people. I groaned.

"Don't worry," Ceci said. "If she's nasty to you, I'll call for the manager."

Part of me wanted to say, "Okay, Karen," but Ceci was trying to support me. I nodded.

When it was our turn, Ceci stepped up to the counter, standing at her full height. With the heels of her boots, that put her five-nine. Ella, at five-three, glowered up at her. "Hello and welcome to Starbucks," Ella said robotically. "What can I get for you today?"

Ceci rattled off Angelika and Maddy's orders in addition to her own. Normally Ceci ordered a caramel macchiato, but today it was something so complex that I wasn't even sure it was a coffee.

"Anything else?" Ella asked, looking pointedly at me.

"Uh, a caramel macchiato. Venti," I said.

Ella looked down to punch this into the cash register, and Ceci nudged me a little with a smile that disappeared as soon as Ella looked up. "Can I get a name for your order?" Ella asked me.

I stared at her.

"Ugh, you go to school with us," Ceci said, and plunked down a twenty.

Ella waited.

"Bree," I said as snottily as I could.

I moved aside as Ceci waited for her change, and handed Ceci a five while we stood waiting for our orders to be ready. "Oh my god that was so awkward," I said in a low voice.

Ceci made a humming noise. For the next ten minutes I writhed in horror that somehow I had failed Ceci's coolness test by not being able to stand up to someone as much of a loser as Ella. I should have made my order as crazy as Ceci's.

At long last, the tall guy with the goatee behind the counter with Ella came over with our drinks. "Uh, Ceecee and Bray?"

Ceci gave me a look. I assumed she wanted me to say something, to not allow Ella to have the last word in this unacknowledged argument. Instead, I picked up the drink tray and followed Ceci back out to the car.

"That girl is such a bitch," Ceci said. "Like, I was two seconds away from going full Karen on her."

Relief broke out over me in a cold sweat. "That would have been amazing. I mean, how rude does she have to be?"