december 8

song of the day: Deck the Halls

The time between dinner and curfew was the most stressful part of James's day, and he had a transfiguration test that he had hardly studied for. James checked the clock every two minutes between 8 and 9:50, and once it was 8:50, James jumped off his bed and walked as fast as he could without it being considered running, all the way to Minnie's office.

He had it all planned out, and he spent the duration of most of his classes thinking it all up. He was going to tell Lily how he felt, as Sirius suggested, but not right away, so as not to make things awkward. But he knew exactly what he would say, and he didn't want to ruin anything that they already had.

The first part of his plan was that he would arrive after Lily, but he got there at 9:55, five minutes after they were supposed to start, but Lily wasn't there yet.

He waited, and five minutes later Lily showed up, slowing down from a running pace, panting. "Sorry I'm late. We can go now." Already the plan was not working.

The two of them walked in silence for the first 20 minutes. The second part of James's plan was for Lily to start a conversation, and for him to go along with it. Now that he was thinking about it, James realized he shouldn't have made the majority of his plan rely on Lily's actions, so after those silent 20 minutes, he said, "Hypothetically, if you were to go on your dream date, with a dream person, what would it be?"

"That's a big question," Lily said thoughtfully. "Probably a picnic in a field with a wonderful view, good food, and good company. I don't like to get to know people on dates, I like to already know them."

"Interesting."

"How about you?" Lily asked, turning to look at James.

He looked back at her. "Honestly, Lily, if I'm with the right person, I don't care if we're eating out of the rubbish in the back alley of a grubby diner, I would just be happy to be with them. Well, maybe not eating out of a dumpster, but you know what I mean," he said with a dorky smile.

"I know exactly what you mean," Lily replied, smiling back.

Internally, James was screaming. His plan was going better than according, but a certain slimeball had to go and ruin it all.

"Who's there?" An obnoxious voice drawled.

"Shit, we need to hide!" Lily said when she heard him. She grabbed his hand and they ran through the hall, searching for a hiding spot.

They found a huge wooden wardrobe at the end of a hallway, and they ran into it, closing the doors behind them. The inside wasn't as huge as marketed, and Lily and James were a bit too close to each other.

They heard footsteps walking near them, and both held their breath. The footsteps seemed to be banging in James's head, but then they got more and more faint, but Snivellus was still around.

"This might not be the best time to say this, but um, I think I should say this sooner than later," James whispered.

"James..."

"No, just let me say this. Please. It's the best way to deal with this." Lily stayed silent. "Lily, you are the most wonderful, gorgeous, intelligent, and kind girl I have ever met, and I love you. I know you don't feel the same way, but I just need to get this off my chest. You probably already know this because of yesterday, but—"

And then the most unexpected thing happened. Lily snogged James in that huge-tiny wooden wardrobe.

"You can't tell anyone about this, James," Lily said, sternly. "Not even your friends. No one can know."

He nodded. "Mhm, yeah, no one. I promise."

"I think the coast is clear now, so we can go." Lily started pushing the doors open.

"Wait." James stopped her. "Can I kiss you one more time? I don't expect this to happen again, after all."

Lily ran her fingers through his hair, tousling it furthermore, and James felt like he had melted in the most amazing kiss of his life.