Chapter 8 - The Ace of Teiko

Finally, today is the day that the games start. I took off work specifically for this, I squealed in excitement as I entered the gym. I decided that I wouldn't be telling Aomine that I was coming and that I would surprise him instead, it smelt like air salonpas!

I plugged my nose and took a seat in the lower part of the bleachers by one of the basketball teams, two games were going to be held in this gym today, Tōō's was first, the boys stared at me and their faces went red. So weird, but I wanted to watch up close and this is as close as I could get, I sighed waiting for the team to come out.

Finally the teams were announced, at first I couldn't spot Daiki, but after a few long seconds he dragged behind the rest of his team yawning.

"He's yawning?" I questioned.

"Well, he's one of the best basketball players in the entire country!" One of the boys said beside me.

Only in highschool... right? "Yeah but.. I thought he'd be a little more excited.." I was a bit shocked, the way he was acting was something I haven't seen before, it was like a totally different person.

"Well, would you be excited if you knew you'd win every single time you did something?" He asked.

I thought about his question. "Yeah, I probably would, but I suppose it's different for everyone.I crave victory, he craves a rival."

The boy nodded at me and we watched the team warm up.

As the game began Aomine was starting as a forward(post) and a really tall guy with bleach blonde hair was doing the tip off, the ref blew the whistle and the game began. Tōō got the basketball and they quickly handed it to Daiki, in return he swerved through the defense with miraculous speed and dunked the ball. Something tells me that he's not trying his best though...

Throughout the first quarter the same sluggish behavior could be seen all over Aomine's posture, unbelievable.. is he not even trying???! I was fuming at this point.

"Uhm are you okay?" The boy beside me asked.

I looked over at him barely able to contain my anger and smiled.

"Yes."

That's when I heard Aomine talking to a boy that he dunked over. "Maybe if you didn't suck so bad you could actually stop one of my shots."

The boy looked absolutely crushed.

With that, the quarter ended.

I was speechless... this was NOT the Daiki I knew. This was not the Daiki that I befriended, I stood up as the teams were walking back to their benches and walked right onto the court, I didn't care if everyone was watching, I grabbed the poor boys arm and pulled him into a hug, the entire gym abrupted in gasps causing Aomine to look at the commotion, the boy was shocked.

"You're good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise." I said in his ear, letting go of the hug. His face was beet red, as were his eyes from crying. I then turned around and walked over to Aomine who was giving me the stink eye.

"Aomine Daiki! Who do you think you are!" I roared, grabbing his arm. I dragged him out of the gym, so much adrenaline was rushing throughout my body that I felt like I could stop a car. I flung him out of the doors and waited until they shut behind me.

"What do you think you're doing Sōdai!" He yelled angrily.

"No, what do you think you're doing? I don't give a flying  fuck if you don't think they're worthy of your so called "greatness" you don't ever say that to a person! What is wrong with you!"

I grabbed onto his jersey and pushed him against the wall causing a loud noise.

He cringed, there was a look of surprise in his eyes, and perhaps a tinge of fear. Not fear of me hurting him, but fear of my disappointment.

"You always try your best no matter who your opponent is! It's about respect! Respect for yourself and your abilities as well as their hard work! You broke his heart out there, I'm disappointed in you.." My voice cracked at the sudden emotion, why was I so angry? Was I really that mad about that boy or was I mad that my image of Daiki was severely damaged, who even is this boy standing in front of me.. I thought I really found a good person.

A tear fell from my eye causing Aomine's face to soften, he looked very.. regretful, I released him and walked away, he yelled after me but I just shook my head.

"Finish your fucking game. And you better give it your all or I will never forgive you." I said not even looking back to see his reaction.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Aomine's POV

Oh god, what have I done. I slumped down on the wall and sat on the ground with my face in my shoulder, I feel so guilty and embarrassed, my heart hurts, why?

Why did I say that to him, I sighed

I felt like I had dug myself a deep hole that I couldn't ever get out of, how will I ever face her again. I sat there for a moment thinking about her words. "You better give your all or I will never forgive you."

Since when was I the kind of person who discouraged other people from playing basketball.. since when did I start yawning in between plays, what went wrong.? I sighed and stood up, I slowly walked through the doors of the gym, everyone looked at me and started to whisper, yep. They definitely heard that whole conversation, well she was screaming super loudly. I sighed and smiled, I went over to the other teams bench and spotted the boy I had been rude to, taking a deep breath I closed my eyes and bowed.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that to you, I know that now. I'll make it right, and I'll do my best from now on." I looked up at him, but he was too shocked to speak. I nodded my head and then went back to my team, the game was about to resume, they all looked at me with their mouths open.

"Aomine.." Satsuki whispered.

Imayoshi slung his arm around my back. "She's one hell of a girl, I'm jealous."

I looked down, my heart ached."It's not like she's mine, it's likely that she won't ever be now. Still, I'll take heed to her words, I'm done sulking about finding a rival it just seems stupid now. There was a time that I used to love basketball no matter who I played, I have to be that person, for her and myself." I looked up at my team with determination.

Satsuki wiped her eyes and smiled. "Go get 'em."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Satsuki Momoi's POV

Sōdai Kessaku, you're so amazing, you've brought out a side of Daiki that I haven't seen in a very long time. For that, I am forever grateful.

Tōō ended up winning the game 234-23 it was the biggest score gap that highschool basketball had ever seen. If this is what it looks like when Daiki gives his all, then I'm scared to see what it'll look like when his body catches up with his talent. You're truly a beast among men.

By this time, almost everyone was cheering for Aomine and his amazing game, but in the back of all of our minds, were the yells of the girl that pushed him to compete.