Into the Fray

"What is that?" Kazama asked Sumiko, leaning down to read over her shoulder, as she finished writing the address for the letter she was getting ready to send. Some time had passed since they had returned to Edo, and the girls had been exchanging letters to keep in touch. He had thought Sumiko was writing a response to Yukimura Chizuru's latest letter, but that did not appear to be the case.

"Well, Chizuru said she still hasn't had any luck with finding a way to get to Ezo, so I thought I'd try writing a special prescription..." she replied with the hint of a sly smile, addressing it to Keisuke Ootori. She still had some contacts she knew that owed her a favor and could deliver it for her.

"And what about Hijikata Toshizo?" Kazama asked impatiently with a frown as he nuzzled his face against her neck and planted a soft kiss that made Sumiko blush.

"I already told you, we have to wait for April or May before we can make another move on that front..." she reminded him wryly, sweat-dropping. It really would be bad for history if anything happened to Hijikata before then.

A few weeks later, Chizuru was praying in front of the graves again, when someone called out to her.

"Yukimura-san!" Chizuru looked up to see the old priest approaching her.

"Oshou-sama?" she said, wondering why he looked excited.

"I have a letter for you," he told her. Chizuru stood up and hurried over to him. She thought it would be another letter from Sumiko, but it had been sent by Keisuke Ootori, the Minister of the Army for the Republic of Ezo. "Ootori-san?" she gasped, surprised, and quickly opened the letter to read its contents. Her eyes widened slightly in astonishment, and she had to brace herself to keep the tears of relief and gratitude that formed in her eyes from falling. He was requesting her presence in Ezo, where she could work as Hijikata's assistant to help take care of him. At last... Hijikata-san... She finally had a way to meet with him again!

"Are you going?" the priest asked, concerned for her safety.

"I am!" she said determinedly. "There is someone in Ezo who still needs me."

"I see... Treasure your life. Do not race to your death."

"Yes! Thank you for everything!" Chizuru said with a bow. The priest nodded.

"Take care."

The Republic of Ezo

KNOCK. KNOCK.

"I'm busy right now. Save it for later," Hijikata said firmly while he worked at his desk, a little irritated to have his concentration broken by the knock at his door.

"I'm coming in!" the intruder announced with a high and clear voice. Hijikata looked up as the door opened to reveal a small attendant wearing clothing that was a mix of Japanese and Western style. Their dark brown hair was pulled back in a ponytail, but he couldn't see their face because of how they had bowed. "I am Yukimura Chizuru. I received an appointment by the Minister of the Army that is effective as of today. I have been assigned to serve Vice Minister Hijikata as his attendant," Chizuru introduced herself, rising with a smile.

Hijikata stood and stared at her, unable to believe his eyes. He had often imagined seeing her again when he was tired or troubled. Was she really there this time?

"Here are my orders," Chizuru said, holding out the papers. Hijikata furrowed his brow and frowned. No. Real or not, she couldn't be there. It was too dangerous.

"Take it and go," he said sternly, upset that she had put herself in danger and that Ootori-san would enable her to do so. She couldn't stay there. He couldn't bear it if anything happened to her. "I do not accept your appointment."