Sighing I sit down on the edge of the bed and hold the scans tightly in my hands "it looks like you have a mass Tiana" I tell her "in your lung"

Her mum gasps and clutches on to her husband "how did that get there?" He asks his voice rough, as though he has just woken up "I don't know" I admit looking down at my hands "although I believe it has something to do with the new medication she is taking for her cancer"

Tears well in the mums eyes and I feel awful for having to tell them this. "So what do we do now?" She asks, I stand up and clear my face. I need to be a doctor and not a friend. "Well we can take her into surgery and take the mass out" I tell them and she shakes her head, moving to sit with her daughter who seems to not know how to react "no I mean does she stop taking the medication?"

I ponder this for a moment, wondering what the best course of action would be "I would suggest stopping that treatment" I say and the mum sobs but I press on "we can put her back on chemo and go from there" the mum and dad share a look and their daughter picks up on it "I'm never going to get better am I?" She asks sadly and I feel my heart break slightly.

The mum leans forward and kisses her daughters forehead and strokes her hair "of course you will sweetheart it just takes time"

I step back and look down "I'll let you make a decision and I'll get an OR ready to remove the mass" I say and go out with my resident trailing behind me. 

——

I am walking through the OR floor, minding my own business when I notice Mark and Derek laying into Owen Hunt. "Hey what's going on over here?" I ask catching all of their attention. Mark and Derek look over at me while Owen keeps his eyes locked on the two me "well?" I ask folding my arms and waiting expectantly.

"We got a patient" Derek explains "and he is in bad shape, crushed in a trash truck" I nod my head still listening "he is in critical condition and Hunt won't let us patch him up" I look over at the ginger haired man "is this true? Your just packing him up and letting him walk out?" I ask and Hunt gives me a stern look.

"He doesn't want our help" Owen says deeply and I shake my head "we have a duty to do what is right Owen, that man sounds like he won't die without treatment" he scoffs and folds his arms, giving me a cold look "sounds being the key word, he is coherent and simply stated he does not want our help"

This makes me hesitate and I wring my wrists awkwardly "if he explicitly said the words then there isn't anything you can do" I tell my two favourite boys (well expect for Alex) "you could be sued if you even attempted it without his permission" Mark groans and rubs the back of his neck and Derek looks down at his feet.

"You were supposed to be on our side Andy" Mark says and whirl to him "I'm on no one's side but the patients" I say before storming off. Ugh men.

As I walk past a nurses station I see Lexie "hey Lex what's up?" I ask coming round next to her and she jumps. What is with this girl today? "Oh nothing" she says flashing red, I nod awkwardly and start off again before she stops me "I'm sorry about earlier" she says and I stop, turning back around to face her.

"You don't have to apologise, you didn't do anything wrong" i tell her honestly and she shakes her head "no I was rude and I shouldn't have been. You helped me the other day and I repayed you in rudeness" I smile and step forward "honestly Lexie don't worry about it, I'm not your sister" she seems to relax and I give her shoulder a little squeeze "catch you later" I say and head into the OR for Tiana's surgery.

———

"The surgery went well" I tell her parents while Tiana is being wheeled up to recovery. Mrs Marin collapses into her husband who holds her tightly, kissing the top of her head "thank god" she says and I smile.