Chapter 12

So Derek has a wife and he has been cheating on her with Meredith

So Derek has a wife and he has been cheating on her with Meredith. What an ass. She is a neo-natal surgeon and a pretty good one at that. I look her up last night. I had Meredith at my door last night crying her eyes out, apparently Derek went back to the hospital after we said goodnight to meet Meredith when his wife turned up unexpectedly. I helped her calm down and then sent her on her way knowing it would be best if she didn't dwell on it.

I am just about to fall asleep that night when my pager goes off, it's Alex. Groaning I ignore it and roll over, falling straight to sleep.

————-

As I am walking in to work Derek rushes up to me with a coffee, which I ignore, "seriously?" He asks "you too?" I stop at the elevator and press the button and wait patiently for it to come down. Sighing Derek wraps his hands around the coffee cup and takes a drink himself "fine" he mutters. When the doors open we both step inside and I look at my phone, two messages from my mum asking me to go visit "I didn't cheat on my wife Andy" Derek says breaking the tense silence and I snort at him, "we have been split for a while, just haven't gotten a divorce" I roll my eyes and shove my phone into my jacket pocket "it really isn't any of my business Derek"

I head out onto the surgical floor and go to the attending's lounge "but you are clearly bothered by it" Derek says following me down the hall, "why would I be bothered it's not my life" I say. We reach the lounge and I head inside, my locker is in the far corner and I open it. I shrug off my jacket, Derek sits down on the beach behind me as I take out my lab coat and shrug it on "yeah but you are my friend and I can tell when you are pissed at me" I turn around to face him this time. His dark hair is falling into his eyes giving him a lost puppy look, "I warned you not to get your heart broken not to break hers first" I say quietly "I have patients to get to"

——

Burke and I are walking down the hall talking to Patricia about some logistical things about the hospital and when she breaks off from us I can't even get in a word before derek is jumping down the stair case. "I believe a congratulations are in order" he says sidelining up next to me and sends me a friendly smile. I am still not ready to forgive him just yet. Burke is trying to cover his smile "I wouldn't swear it. I'm only your boss for a few days" I snort and pull my coat on tighter "you've been busting my ass already" and they both ignore my comment which is just rude.

"I'm well aware of Richard's recovery time. I operated on him remember?" Derek bites back, it's an odd flex since we shouldn't really be boasting that our chief of surgery needed surgery himself. Burke nods his head "I do, he survived and chose me to take over while recruiting your wife" my eyes go wide and I almost choke on my the drink I have just taken a swig from, Derek goes into a room quickly and with a smile on his face says "clearly he has brain damage" oh so he has jokes now.

Burke narrows his eyes "or is it your ex-wife I'm kind of fuzzy on that" oh so this man has balls, looks like people can change over night. Derek tries not to get too tense but I can see he is slightly tense, uncomfortable almost "we're separated" just then a red head in pink scrubs comes over to us and breaks up the gossip sesh "sorry to interrupt Doctor Burke" those two share a smile like they have known each other for years "you're never interrupting" he says comfortingly and Derek rolls his eyes and pulls a face clearly meant to amuse me "she always is" he comments and I almost hit him.