Chapter 2: Unknown

Start from the beginning

Huh? Am I imagining things? Have I finally gone insane?

Denying it over and over he nevertheless quickened his pace trying to lose it. What else could he do? Not too long ago he woke up to find a mysterious eerie book. And now he has to deal with this flying orb chasing him?

What does it want?

He pondered, digging his nails into his skin.

Shit, I'm panicking. If I want answers I'll have to confront it. Good luck to me. Hah...who am I even talking to?

His habit of talking and thinking to someone else who isn't there occurred whenever he deemed necessary. It greatly helped him calm down, that's why he usually used this trick when he was interrogated by the police.

Asking for valuable information, which he indeed gave but subtlety to ensure his family's safety and for the officers to arrest them. Fortunately he never got caught. Although on some occasions he was going to serve time it got reduced for his cooperation. That's how he walked as a free man that one time he got caught by the authorities

Back to his predicament, he immediately stopped himself and came to an abrupt end. He specifically chose a spot where it was devoid of people. He didn't want anybody to listen to their conversation. Though he could have very well dug his grave by being alone with a mysterious being.

He calmly turned around facing the dot floating in the air. Moments after he did, the feeling of annoyance got replaced by one of satisfaction.

"Finally." the voice rang through his head.

"Huh? Can you communicate with me telepathically?"

"Yes."

He found himself bewildered at the revelation. Sure, he knew he was in a fantasy world but he never witnessed anything supernatural. Making it hard to believe there was any. Frankly it takes time to get adjusted to the new rules of this world. Things that are normal here won't be back in his homeland. If he never thought it was possible yet here he is experiencing this phenomenon.

"I know I may sound ignorant but I'll still ask. What exactly are you?"

"Lesser spirit." Surprised the spirit answered

There are spirits in this world? This one said it's a lesser one, so maybe there's levels of spirits? In addition, what do they even do? From what I know spirits are the souls of the dead people who come back to visit on a specific holiday we celebrate. Either the orb is a spirit of a dead person who is still lingering around or a soul that has been a spirit since the day it was born.

"Is that why you can struggle to say more than two words?"

They were meant to be nothing more than his curiosity getting the better of him. However this caused the round shining ball to slowly move down in shame.

"Yeah, I'm sorry for that." He quickly apologized, not liking that he made the orb feel that way.

"Okay, let's see. I'll ask some questions and you'll answer them. Don't worry, even a yes or no should suffice. Is that fine with you?" He asked for confirmation as he didn't want to force the circle of pigmentation to do something they didn't want.

"Very well."

"If you are a lesser spirit, are there more here?"

"Yes."

Okay, maybe there's more than I initially thought.

"Assuming there are, why haven't they showed themselves?"