chapter 11 • the boots and i had a lot more in common

Start from the beginning

"i mean, not that i blame her. but, still." troy said.

"i know, she asked me to move earlier so she could get to her locker. i mean, give me my space." sawyer said, trying to relate.

"yeah, i doubt she was looking at you." i stared.

"you know, i think we need to be mature and talk to her, let her down easy." troy said.

"explain that i am a ladies man, who can't be tied down." troy said, pointing at himself.

"troy, i know you're getting no bitches with that lime green baseball hat." i said, taking it off of him.

"i could get any girl i want!" troy said.

"you wish." i said.

"and newt, you've got that whole unrequited love thing with sophie." troy pointed out.

"well, it's not really unrequited when she asks me for a pencil and keeps it for the whole day." newt said, as if it was a sign she loved him.

"newt, baby, you're obsessed." i said, giving him a pitying look.

"point is, we're not available, and she needs to know that. come on sawyer, you can listen." troy said.

"sawyer gets no bitches." i said. "and i'm telling you guys, she doesn't like you."

pepper tried to run off.

"hey, pepper." troy said, just as she was about to turn around

"hey, guys." pepper said awkwardly.

"so, look. we just wanted to talk to you about, um, feelings! for example, i have many feelings for many different ladies. a gaggle, if you will." troy said.

"no man who gets bitches says gaggle. who wanna watch me juggle?" i asked, pulling out my oranges.

"oh, i do!" sawyer said, and i started juggling the oranges.

i quickly put the last orange into sawyers hand. the other two had gone flying at him prior.

"sawyer! why would you hit people with oranges?" i asked.

"newt, you're up." troy said.

"i like sophie!" newt said, running up the stairs.

troy ran in the other direction.

"okay, what's wrong with them?" pepper asked.

i shrugged.

"they got problems." sawyer asked. "hey, can i ask you something?"

i pulled a box of chicken nuggets out of my backpack.

"i don't have any sauce. whatever. i'll just rawdog these nuggets." i shrugged, watching their conversation.

"do you like my new boots?" sawyer asked.

"yeah, they're actually really cool." pepper said.

"thank you! when i first saw them, i didn't think they were my type. but then i realized the boots and i had a lot more in common than i thought." sawyer said, taking his foot off of the couch.

"you know what i didn't do? i didn't look at all the other available boots and put 'em on a boot list." sawyer said.

"sawyer, what are you talking about?" pepper asked.

"here's a hint, i'm not talking about footwear." he said.

"nice boots, huggins! those are going on my boot list." coach spoke, as he walked by.

"aw, sugar beets!" sawyer said, running away.

i offered pepper a nugget, while she ran off to make a boot list.

i watched awkwardly as troy, sawyer and newt stared at pepper and i from a ledge.

i put on a layer of lipgloss, standing up and holding my purse.

"look, i know it hasn't been easy, but you'll forget all about us in no time." troy reassured her.

"i have no idea what you're talking about." pepper said.

"great first step!" troy said, giving her a thumbs up.

"okay, bye." pepper said awkwardly. "oh, sawyer, i've been meaning to tell you! i've started a boot list. total game changer."

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i sat down at the starcade table next to pepper, setting down my cherry milkshake.

"you know, it's really hard to take insta pictures when the smoothie glasses are built like sawyers ugly ass boots." i said, taking a sip.

sawyer strolled by.

"oh, hey girls! i didn't see you there." sawyer said, wearing an ugly shirt.

"sawyer, what are you doing?" pepper asked

"oh, just chillin, maxin, relaxin. you know, this is how we do."

"ugh, you smell like newt. and what's with the clothes?"

"you don't like it?"

"no."

"ugh, i give up. here's your crush list back."

"crush list? oh, this isn't a crush list. it's a makeover list."

pepper explained that the people on the list needed the most fashion help.

"sawyer! if i did have one of those crush list thingies, are you saying you'd wanna be on it?" pepper asked.

"well, i'd- you see, for- well, um. yes, yes i would." sawyer said.

"huh, good to know."

"what if i had one of those crush lost thingies, would you wanna be on it?"

"yes, yes i would."

cherry was disgusted.