chapter 11 • the boots and i had a lot more in common

Start from the beginning

"am i on there?" i asked, walking towards them and shoving my things back into my locker.

"cherry!" troy said.

"you're back!" newt pushed sawyer out of the way.

"i missed talking to you and watching baja beach and i missed your perfume!" he shouted.

"i saw you like last, week." i reminded.

"pepper has a crush list? i mean- that's- whatever."sawyer said, trying to play it cool, despite his obvious interest.

i stared at him, but he looked away.

"check it! my name is at the top with a little star next to it. oh, and a little red heart!" troy pointed to the top of the paper.

"anybody else we know on the list?" sawyer asked.

"let's see. newt, you come in at a solid number seven. congratulations. ricky, you're nine, and luis, you're ten." troy read out, still staring at the list.

"i could never compete with that adorable face. i mean, look at him." ricky said.

"it's a blessing, and a curse." luis bragged.

"what number am i?" sawyer asked.

"you're.. not." troy said.

"what?" sawyer asked, quickly snatching the list from troy. "oh, that's impossible! huh. i guess if didn't have as much in common with her as i thought."

"what?" troy asked.

"oh, nothing." sawyer said. "i mean, i'm relieved. who wants be on some dumb girly list anyways?"

newt took the list from sawyer, scratching his name out desperately.

"what are you doing?" sawyer asked.

"sophie cannot see my name on her best friends crush list!" newt panicked.

"maybe i should buy her some apology chocolates?" newt suggested. "my stepmom, brenda, loves chocolates."

"i don't think sophie wants chocolate from you. but she'd take it." i encouraged.

"she locks herself in the pantry and eats them while crying, what i can only assume are tears of joy." newt said. "we have a very happy family."

"i can tell." i nodded.

"don't make a big deal out of it." troy said.

"yeah, just cause someone's not on some stupid list doesn't mean they're not awesome." sawyer said.

"right." i nodded.

i walked past the team, and into coaches office.

i signed back up for football, and re-organized my things into my space in the girls part of the locker room.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

i crossed a day off my calendar, admiring my new outfit in the small mirror.

"this is the second time i've seen pepper trying to sneak a picture of me." newt said.

pepper was positioned awkwardly, like she was trying to take a secret picture, just like i do whenever i see a decently cute person.

"yeah, tell me about it." troy said, closing his locker.

"she sat next to me in math class, and she was totally checking me out." troy said.