Seven

February 26, 2019
Tuesday
12:15 pm.

••••••••

I walked into the kitchen where she was sitting down at the breakfast table on her laptop and drinking some tea

I walked into the kitchen where she was sitting down at the breakfast table on her laptop and drinking some tea. I sat next to her and she didn't even acknowledge me.

"Bre?" She looked at me when I touched her arm and I retracted my hand. "Mama?"

"Mikhail just let me breathe please?"

"Breanna?"

"Can you be any more annoying Mikhail? Damn." She shut her laptop and got up. She walked out of the kitchen and I sighed.

"Trouble in paradise?"

"Oh, good morning Miss Annalise."

"Good morning son." She smiled and gave my shoulder a squeeze before she went over to the stove. She was a chef by profession but after Bre and Tee left home, she retired and she didn't get to cook much anymore so she was making full use of us being there.

"How are you doing this morning Miss Annalise?"

"I'm good my boy, giving God thanks."

"As we should. I'm going to head out, Tee wanted me to drop her off somewhere."

"Okay but is everything good with you and my daughter?" I loved how she never took sides when it came to Bre and I. She heard both sides of a story then gave advice based on the common denominator.

"All we ever seem to do is fight nowadays."

"I wonder whose fault that is?" She said rhetorically as she walked into the kitchen to pick up her laptop. "Good morning Mommy, forgive my manners."

"It's okay baby, good morning."

"You ain't give me a chance to finish what I was gon say. I was gon say that it's my fault because I'm always messing things up and you don't deserve that. You deserve better from me mama."

"Okay Mikhail." She walked over to her mom and kissed her cheek. "I'll be back later."

"Where are you headed sweetie?"

"You remember Atwon right?"

"Oh yes, Charlene's son."

"Okay so I ran into him and he invited me out to have brunch today." She stepped back and did a little twirl. "How do I look?" That didn't sit right with me that she was trying to look pretty for him, not that she needed to try to look pretty because she was straight fire.

"You look pretty baby."