Sirius Black - A Walk through the Woods

Start from the beginning

A few hours later, when you had almost forgotten about the marshmallow incident, a flask was passed around the people sitting by the fire. Peter had snitched a gallon of Firewhiskey from his parents at home and had made it tradition to bring some to special occasions like this.

You took a sip and looked at the dark sky above you. The sharp taste took a while to get used to, burning its way through your mouth, until the sweet note of honey wrapped itself around your tongue after you had swallowed.

Some stars on the firmament seemed to shine brighter than others tonight. Just like the people you were with, you thought and chuckled to yourself.

"Save me a sip, love", chimed a familiar voice from behind, as the person sat down to your left.

Sirius. Again. Making himself comfortable with that well-known smirk on his face. For a second you considered drinking the whole flask in one sip, just so he couldn't have any. Sadly that could have been fatal and Sirius undoubtfully wasn't worth hours of throwing up in the woods.

"And why should I?" you asked, now holding the flask firmer, swaying it in your hand. "Thief."

"Oh come on," he smiled. "You aren't really still mad about the marshmallow, are you?"

You didn't answer, took another sip and watched him push a strand of hair behind his ear, his eyes expectantly going back and forth between the flask and your lips.

"You hold grudges forever, don't you?"

"If you think two hours is forever, then yes. I do."

He clicked his tongue and shook his head, the flames beside him drawing warm tones onto his cold expression.

"Well, I'm sure you had it replaced within a second. Right, Matty?"

Sirius looked to your right where Matthew sat, who didn't seem to hear him.

"Oh." You sneered and whispered: "You're jealous."

"Wha- No?" Sirius insisted, even though his reddening cheeks and bobbing knees said differently.

"Okay, okay," you chuckled and finally offered him the flask. "There you go. You still owe me though."

Even though him being jealous was obviously meant as a joke, he had acted way too strongly against it. If Sirius really liked you, he had a strange way of showing it. That's why tonight was the first time this thought had come to your mind.

"Alright, alright", he sighed after a few sips. "I'll make it up to you, okay?"

"And when will that be?"

"Now." He got up swiftly and offered you his hand. "Come on!"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"Come on," he repeated. "I'm going to show you something."

"You're kidding," you said, not really knowing why you had followed him to the edge of the clearing. "What is it?"

"You're going to have to follow me if you want to know," he grinned and motioned towards the dark path behind him.

"Into the woods? With you? You wish, Black."

"What a shame. I know you would have loved to see them. Well, maybe some other time, then. When you're not such a scaredy-cat."

"I'm not! And who is 'them'?"

"It's a secret. I can't tell you, but I can show you. If you're not too scared, that is."

The smug grin on his face told you exactly what game he was playing. He knew all too well how intrigued you were. And besides that, you wouldn't take being called a scaredy-cat by a Gryffindor.