Baoshen Sanren's laughter dwindled off into short bursts of tiny giggles until she, too, calmed herself.

"Please, A-Ying. I miss hearing your heavenly voice and I'm sure the young master Lan would love to hear it. His clan is widely known for its appreciation of fine music and there is no one better than my gifted grandson to sing this beautiful song for him."

"Grandmother, stop!" Wei Ying whined, his smile growing brighter.

"Hanguang-jun, would you not like to hear your Wei Ying sing?" she asked politely.

"Grandmother st..... Wait! What did you just say?"

"Nothing. Nevermind me." she answered with a wave of her two hands in the air above her head. "I'm just an old woman whose memory is not what it used to be. So, Lan Wangji, would you like to hear my grandson sing?" she asked again, this time leaning forward, her neck outstretched in anticipation of his answer.

"Mn." Lan Zhan replied.

That single syllable spoken with a voice as deep as the ocean sent shivers down Wei Ying's back and curled his toes. Unable to deny Lan Zhan's request, he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Suddenly, his hand was enveloped in warmth and given the gentlest squeeze. Wei Ying looked up and found himself drowning in amber eyes staring back at him.

Without turning away, he began to sing. The first note was clear, pitched perfectly, and Wei Ying could see the amazement spread across Lan Zhan's face like ripples on a still pond. His deep tenor voice reverberated flawlessly and floated across the courtyard. The walls surrounding them only amplified the elegance of the music emanating from a body that no longer seemed human.

An angel of the clouds
And a beauty of the lake
Their hearts are bound
As their true souls awake

When dark loves the light
And ice becomes fire
Each one's heart
Will find their desire

Two solstice suns
Each bound by their fate
Can bring back the peace
With love over hate

Wei Ying never broke eye contact with Lan Zhan. He refused to look away and lose whatever connection was building between them. Each word that left his bow-shaped lips was sung exclusively for the jade. The added vibrato on the sustained notes added yet another level of beauty to his rich voice.

When he had finished, Baoshen Sanren took a staggered breath and wiped the single tear that had slipped from her silver eyes.

"A-Ying, that....that was even more beautiful than I imagined it would be." she said faintly, her eyes still sparkling from the tears she was trying to hold back.

Wei Ying smiled and dropped his head. "I miss m-mama." he choked out.

Lan Zhan lifted their hands and squeezed them harder as if he was trying to mold them together. "Will find whoever hurt her. Promise."

Wei Ying looked up and nodded at the jade. It was all he could do right now. His throat was so tight that if he sang now he would probably sound like he was going through his second puberty.

"I believe I can help you." Wei Ying's grandmother said gently. "I have a suspicion. Something that's been gnawing at me since I saw the two of you together holding the key."

Wei Ying turned towards her, dropping one of Lan Zhan's hands but refusing to do so with the other one. He needed to stay connected to the jade. For whatever reason, he never wanted to let go and break this bond he currently had with the other man.