To Raise a Beast

Today was the first day of dino training. I really don't want to do it, but it's not like I have much of a choice. Plus I really want that bonus they offered me for taking care of her. Why would they even trust a nineteen year old with a new experiment.

That reminds me I'm not only shorter than him by a few inches but I'm also younger than him by 10 years. I know I'm a bit young to be here but Owen insisted that I come to work with him. He only did it because I was the only family member that actually still kept in contact with him. Our parents yeah we see them once in a while but they never make an effort to come see or call us. They usually make the excuse that they're too busy with something.

It's a whole load of bull. They never really cared too much about Owen but when it came to me they helicopters one minute and the next they acted like I never even existed. But when I moved out it was like I wasn't even their kid anymore.

But never mind that. Past stays in the past. Time to move on and go train a beast or die trying. Let's just hope I don't actually die.

As I made my way to the paddock for the younger carnivorous dinosaurs. They kept them here to observe their behavior to see if they are at least safe enough to observe from a distance. They have some in groups to see interactions and others alone because of behavioral status.

I made my down to the one holding the indominous Rex for training. It's bigger than the rest since she's a sort of mutant dinosaur. If you can even consider her one at this point. I still don't understand why they created a new one. It goes against the laws of nature. Oh well, it's not my problem if this whole thing backfires on them.

Mini time skip

I was a bit into training with Indo. As I have named her for a relationship builder. They pulled me out after a few minutes because they wanted to try some experiments on her. They came right back our and shoved a kit into my arms. They told me to do it since I'm the only person who can get within a 3 foot radius. I find it kind of funny because they created her but can't handle her either. She bit and clawed at them and was stronger than they thought considering she is still pretty much a baby.

I walked back in and saw Indo in the middle of the room looking as if she did nothing. I could see a bit of blood on her teeth and some on her belly formed claws. She growing faster than average. I best get this done and over with. Owen asked me to help him with the raptors again. I guess its because I can handle stronger bites than he can.

Indo was pretty much calm other than the fact she tried to bite me the first I put a needle in her. Then she started squirming as I tried to put her under. Meaning I put a mask on her face and then some nitrous oxide flooded into the mask. It was basically sleeping gas. A higher dose than what I give most baby dinos but then again she is technically older than them since she's growing up faster.

Time skip

I finally got out of the paddock and made my way to the raptors. Owen wanted to show Dr. Wu what we discovered the other day. I'm sure he saw the recording but Owen wanted to show him in person.

I saw Owen waiting there and Dr. Wu. "Late as always. So all you have to do is what you did last time." Owen patted my back and went to the observation room. Along with Dr. Wu to see this whole thing go down.

I walked and all eyes were on me. Not just from the two people staring but also the raptors. They were used to seeing me around sometimes because I do come in to check how they are doing. Not only do I work as an animal behavioralist I do a part time as a scientist. But only when they actually allow me in the lab. I called over Charlie as I put on the leather armor they provided. It was only for my arm but that was all I needed.

I got down to her level and started to show small signs of weakness. It didn't effect Charlie at all so I went a bit bigger. She started to get ready to attack. After a minute or I hid my face and caught Charlie before she could actually bit me. Then we brought in Blue. She looked at me with curiosity. I showed signs of weakness again. As I prepare for another bite Blue calmly walked over. I almost forgot she isn't like the others. She chirped and rubbed her head against mine to make me feel better.

I looked up at her with a smile. "Hey. I'm okay, see?" She went back to being playful again. I put her back with the others to run around for a bit. I walked out of the paddock and saw Dr. Wu in in a shocked state. I looked at Owen and all he did was shrug his shoulders. I rolled my eyes at him as we continued are silent conversation. I walked out ot the building ready to relax for a least a few minutes. We don't really get any breaks here since things are still being set up for the grand opening in a couple of years.

I can already tell my salary will be increased even if it's by a few bucks. Because when we do open, there will be a ton of guests staying here. Nothing to fancy of course. They will be more like guinea pigs to test out their tech and how the dinosaurs will react to people. Plus with more people here means security standards will be raised and so will certain vicinities will be as well.

Ugh this is too much math for me to handle. I'll probably lose my spot for training the indominous Rex if someone who's better qualified than me comes rolling around. Man and I thought this was an easy job. Guess I'll have to work harder. Meh, this isn't my ideal kind of work but it's better than nothing. I guess I'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'm so sorry for taking so long to update. I've been busy with school and catching up on some assignments. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter if you're still reading my books. And check my other series that I've started.

(1112 words)