CHAPTER 23

MAYBE DEREK SHEPHERD HAD THE RIGHT IDEA

After he lost a patient, he had a breakdown and quit before running back to his RV in the middle of the woods.

Maybe she should quit and run away. That would be a lot easier than what she's doing now.

Standing over a dead man, carefully peeling his face from his skull with a pair of tweezers,

"Can you imagine?" Camilla whispered as Owen spliced, "He's got family, doesn't he? What if... what if they see a man with his face but different body walking down the street?"

"Mr. Young won't look exactly like the donor. The underlying facial structure of any two people can be very different." Dr. Webber replied,

"Plus, a person's identity is more than just skin and bone." Owen stated and they made eye contact briefly before he contained with the extraction, "His expressions, his style, his eyes. The donor's family wouldn't recognise this face on anyone else."

"The transplant surgeons are getting antsy." Dr. Webber commented,

"Transplant surgeons are always antsy. They can't relax until they got live tissue in their coolers." Owen replied, "Alright, I'm making the final dissection. Nieves, take hold at the right temple and gently lift, but make sure you don't tear flesh."

Camilla gently lifted the skin and held out the face of the man before her, "Oh, my god."

Once she placed the skin in the ice bowl, Camilla and Owen began to scrub out as the transplant team dived in.

"You did great in there." Owen told her as they washed their hands,

She looked up at him with a small smile, "Thanks for the opportunity. It was a big surgery."

"You deserved it."

Owen's beeper went off and he quickly dried his hands before checking it, "It's Bailey." He muttered,

Camilla followed him out to the main area of the OR floor, where the schedule was. Dr. Bailey was there, pacing with worry,

"You paged me, Dr. Bailey?"

"Oh, yes, um, you're finished with your part of the face transplant, right?" Bailey asked him,

"Yes, but I cleared my schedule to watch Sloan do his surgery with Dr. Nieves, so whatever it is you need, I hope it's not too time consuming." Owen stated,

Camilla smiled over at him, "You wanted to watch the surgery with me?"

"Of course."

Dr. Bailey cleared her throat to get their attention, "Depends on how fast you can drive and talk."

Owen raised an eyebrow, "I'm sorry?"

"I need you to drive out to the woods and talk Derek Shepherd into coming back here." Bailey ordered, "And I believe you also might run into Callie Torres, with a flat tire or broken heel or an... axe-wielding serial killer."

Dr. Hunt chuckled, "You're serious?"

"I sent Torres after Shepherd and she's fallen off the grid." Dr. Bailey explained, "Her phone goes straight to voicemail. Okay, I'm normally not a panicky person, but I'm a fan of daytime television, and you know, the mind creates these scenarios... never mind." Owen and Camilla shared a concerned look as Dr. Bailey continued her rant, "I need you to go get Torres and Shepherd and bring them back here before the Chief notices that any of you are gone."

"Shepherd's been gone all week, I'm sure the Chief wouldn't notice-"

"Hunt!" Dr. Bailey interrupted him and he turned silent, "You survived a war. You can do this."

"I know I can do this, I'm saying I don't want to." Owen replied,

"Why don't you do it?" Camilla asked the doctor and she received a look that shut her up,

The look was turned onto Owen and he sighed, "People don't really say no to you, do they?"

"Not when I say please." Dr. Bailey replied, "I'm saying please."

Owen nodded and began to make his way to the attending's room, "I'll go with you." Camilla said, following after him,

He shook his head as he opened his locker and took off his scrub top, "No, you need to stay and watch the surgery."

"But maybe you'll need some backup." Camilla offered,

Owen took a few steps towards her and cupped her face, "I'll be quick. Be back before the surgery." He told her before kissing her gently,

Camilla ran her fingers between his pecs and down his abs, "Well, then you better go." She whispered against his lips,

"Mhmm." He hummed, placing one last kiss against her lips before pulling away and grabbing his shirt.

Owen wasn't quick. Camilla spent the rest of her day sitting in the gallery, waiting for him while watched the nurses prep the OR.

But he never came. So she had to sit up there with the other residents and interns as Dr. Sloan performed the surgery.

Even when the surgery was over, and all the residents had left the gallery, even when Mr. Young had been wheeled to recovery, she still sat there.

Eventually it was Christina's turn to perform a solo surgery, just a routine hernia operation. And that's when she let the cat out of the bag,

"Izzie has stage IV metastatic melanoma that has spread to her brain, liver and skin." She informed the room as she stared at Alex, "She may only have months to live, and she's resisting treatment. She needs help."

Owen found her hours later, still sitting up in the gallery. He sighed and sat next to her, "I'm sorry I missed it. I didn't realise how long I was out there."

"Izzie has cancer." Camilla mumbled, fiddling with her ID.

"What?"

"Which is funny, because out of all of us, she's the good one you know? She's the nice one and now she's dying." She sighed,

"I'm sure she's not dying-" Owen began,

"It's stage four, Owen. She has like a two percent survival rate." Camilla scoffed,

Owen observed her face, noticing the tears welling up in her eyes and knew it wasn't because of Izzie.

"The face transplant had about a two percent success rate. And look at him now." Owen tried to comfort her,

"I don't deserve to look at his new face." Camilla replied, "He deserves to start a new life without thinking of me. Of what my dad did. It's his new chapter."

"And yours, too." Owen responded, reaching for her hand,

Camilla and Mr. Young were both victims that night. They both had their lives changed forever. Their paths crossed for a reason, to bring closure.

To bring the chapter of suffering to an end.