Back Home & Avery's Choice

Start from the beginning

"Go", Redwood said.

Buck and Avery look at her as she spoke up.

"Redwood, listen, we-"

The human doesn't let Buck finish. "I don't mean you... I mean her". She points in Avery's direction, leaving her, Buck, and Diego shocked.

"Excuse me... What?!" Avery gives a perplexed look.

Redwood smirks. "I'm sure I spoke clearly. I said go. Go with him".

Nobody knew what to say to this.

Redwood, the girl who recently was scared to lose her herd, the girl who was angry at Diego for leaving, the girl who was close to dying just to protect Sid, was allowing Avery to leave and go with Buck.

A shocking turn of events this was.

"I-I... W-wait... No... no no no no no... R-Redwood, I can't just--", Avery tried to speak.

"Yes, you can". Redwood kneeled down on one knee as she spoke. "Listen, you love him. It was easy to tell from the get-go. And you guys just got together. It would be harsh to split you up immediately afterwards".

Avery turns to Buck. Redwood was right that she did love him. Plus staying with him in the Dino world seemed very exciting. But there were still issues clouding up her mind.

"B-but what about the others? What about you? You especially, you're my kid. They're our herd, I can't just up and leave you guys like this", She said sadly.

"I'm sure the others would understand. Maybe Manny would complain, but he'll hopefully understand too", Diego joins the conversation. "And Redwood is our kid. Like Manny said, we helped you raise her. And we'll always watch over her".

Redwood looks at Diego, smiling happily at his statement before turning back to Avery. "A few days ago, I would give anything to not have any of you leave me. And for things not to change. I was scared that if we split apart, I would have to be alone. I was scared we would stop caring about each other. But now... I'm not scared anymore. I didn't realize until recently that just because change happens, it doesn't mean it's bad. You all have done so much for me these past years. So let me do this for you".

Avery began tearing up. This was probably the most mature Redwood has been... at all since these last few days. She was starting to grow up and it was nice to see.

Avery then jumped into Redwood's arms and the two shared a heartfelt hug while also starting to cry. Diego looked like he was gonna tear up again at this and Buck looked at the two girls with an emotional expression.

"Listen to me, after today, just know this. You will always be my kid. Like your parents, I will always love you. I wish only the best for you and the others", Avery says calmly through her tears. "And... I'll greatly miss you all".

They pull away from the hug and Redwood wipes her own tears. "Like a wise yet crazy weasel once told me, 'no matter what happens, no matter how far away we go, our herd, including me, will always love you and each other. Because nothing will be able to break the bond we managed to build together."

Avery smiles but then has a realization when she heard 'wise yet crazy weasel'. She looked back at Buck, who nodded to confirm that it was definitely him who said that.

With a heavy heart, Avery slowly but surely stepped away from Redwood and stood next to Buck, who took his turn saying goodbye to the human.

"Redwood, it was a pleasure meeting you. We may have not had enough time to properly know each other, but the time we did have will be something I won't forget". He says. "You're very special. And someday I wish to have a kid just like you".