Chapter 26: Ontario's Star Canopy

Start from the beginning

"Star canopy?" I stupidly asked young Ihaan. "What's a star canopy?"

"Don't ask questions, Kylie. Please, just let me show you." I wasn't sure. Could I trust Ihaan? I could, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go out at the Ghost of Ontario's rush hour. Ihaan must've sensed my fear because he suddenly said, "You can trust me, Kylie. I'll make sure nothing happens to you. I promise."

"Cross your heart?"

I heard Ihaan chuckle. "Cross my heart," he answered. I saw him cross his heart outside with his free hand, but I still wasn't sure about going out. Ihaan sensed my fear again, and I heard him sigh for the second time. "You see, Little Red," he explained, "I just have never had someone else to share the star canopy with, and it really is a beautiful phenomenon."

        I inhaled. Then exhaled. I could trust Ihaan. I knew he wouldn't do anything nasty to me. He never did. He was Ihaan the Hermit, the boy of my dreams. Finally, I nodded and whispered, "I'll come see the star canopy with you, Ihaan, as long as you get me back before my parents wake up."

"Oh thank you, Kylie!" he excitedly announced. "Thank you! I promise I will!"

"Come around to the front of the tent," I said, "and I'll crawl out and meet you."

"Huh." Ihaan's lighted shadow spoke. "Quite strange." He tapped the tent's cloth with his free fist again. "I thought this was the front."

I chuckled. "No, Ihaan. That's the back. I'll be out in a minute. Just let me get my headlamp."

"Oh, that won't not be necessary," spoke Ihaan's shadow. I saw him lift his torch. "We're going to use the torch. I'm looking forward to this, Little Red. I'm looking forward to sharing the star canopy with someone else besides Ro."

I still wondered what he meant by a "star canopy." I know, I'm super stupid. However, I decided not to ask him. I wanted it to be a surprise. Okay, so I wouldn't need my headlamp. I trusted Ihaan had his torch all under control.

I watched as his shadow limped around the tent, and he ran his left palm across its cloth. It actually looked like his limp was getting worse. I worried about him. I really wanted to figure out what had hurt him. Opening my clothes bag, I pulled out my green jacket and slipped it on. I then crawled to my tent's entrance and unzipped it. I swatted another mosquito away.

        When I finally managed to get my legs out of my tent, I zipped it back up and focused ahead on the fly. I nodded and took a deep breath. Reaching forward, I undid the Velcro, opened the fly, and crawled out to the Death Lake's campground. Once ready, I stood up straight and rubbed myself down, peering ahead. I jumped. Ihaan was standing directly in front of me, with his pouch on, and his lit torch was pointed away from my tent. He wasn't wearing his bear costume, but even without it on, he still startled me.

"Ihaan!" I yelped, and I placed my hand to my heart.

"Sorry for scaring you, Kylie," he said.

Relaxing, I dropped my hand and spoke, "You're okay, Ihaan. I forgive you. This lake just gives me the creeps." I peered around the dark, empty campground and shivered. "Who knows when this Ghost of Ontario will grab me and take me to the ghost world!"

"This whole Ghost of Ontario thing is still not totally clear to me," Ihaan explained, "but I can assure you that I am no ghost." He also peered around the campground.

I soon backed him up and said, "Watch it with that thing, Ihaan," and pointed at the torch. "You're going to set my tent on fire if you're not careful!"

Suddenly chuckling, Ihaan explained, "I once saw a tent catch on fire and melt. Since nobody got hurt, it was kind of funny." He continued to chuckle.

I glared. That was no laughing manner.