chapter 4 • i would insult you, but i see too much red to care

Start from the beginning

"okay! loving the enthusiasm. but maybe with a little less violence?" bella suggested. "you know what? i'm gonna find out who's telling secrets to ace if i have to go through the entire team player by player."

"how are you gonna find out anything if they're all giving you guys the silent treatment?" pepper asked.

"oh, i know a couple of guys i can make talk." sophie said.

next day, sophie and i shoved ricky and luis into a cold janitors closet.

"the quicker you answer questions, the quicker you get out of here." bella said.

"first question; how many boys in that locker room have a crush on me? do they fight over me? oh, they do, don't they?" pepper asked.

"does sawyer have any weaknesses?" i asked. "for personal reasons. besides being ugly, blind, and annoying?"

"i'm sorry we dragged you in here, but we need to know, did either of you tell ace the team secret?"
bella asked

"what? no, we wouldn't." ricky said.

"we've been getting seriously dissed at school. and it's even worse at home." luis said.

"our own brothers, they.." ricky said.

"okay." i said, despite them being weird.

"it's not them." i groaned.

"no, but they gave us a good clue." bella said.

"yeah, no one would say an embarrassing secret willingly." i said.

"so it had to be on accident. who says things by accident?" bella asked.

"newt." we all said in unison.

we walked down the hall, hearing sawyer's stupid annoying voice and his dumb accent.

"and that's why you should never feed chili to a mule! now donkeys on the other hand. that's a whole 'nother story." sawyer said, closing his locker.

sophie dragged newt away, while sawyer unlocked his locker.

"shut up." i said, knocking sawyer's books down,

i ran down the hall.

sawyer looked down at the ground, at his opened text books.

"i thought i just heard cherry's annoying voice." sawyer said to himself.

we shoved newt into the closet.

"newt, trust me, i will not be mad no matter what you say." bella said. "are you the leak?"

"no." newt said.

"tell the truth or i'll break you in half." sophie said, leaning closer to him.

"your eyes are so fiery, i could get lost in them." newt said.

"he didn't do it." i said, grabbing him and throwing him out of the closet. "bye newt! love you."

"if the guys wouldn't do it on purpose, and newt didn't do it by accident.." pepper trailed off.

"we're never gonna get anywhere with this!"
sophie complained.

"we've been kicked out of the locker room, troy thinks i betrayed him, i finally get to be quarterback, and the whole team hates me." bella said.

"i still can't stop laughing at the fact his name is newt." i said, trying to relieve the tension.

we went out separate ways, and i went to go bother sawyer because why not?

when i was done, i scrolled through my instagram
while chewing my gum.

i walked through the halls, bella smiling proudly.

"weren't you just upset that they don't believe you're not the leak?" i asked.

"no, because i figured it out." she smiled confidently.

"when we were in ace's office, it was cold, and eh didn't close the vent, which was weird. then, when we were in the janitors closet, which makes sense if the vent in his office leads to the closet." bella said.

"nancy drew." i said, following her and the rest of the team to the supply closet. "so why am i going?"

"we need to intimidate ace. so, be scary!" bella said, while tory walked into the janitors closet to prank ace with an air horn.

"yeah, just be yourself!" sawyer said.

"shut up cowboy." i scoffed. "i'm hot and you know i'm hot."

ace opened the door, and i stared at him, arms crossed.

i moved slightly, and ricky and luis shot glitter at him.

"finally, cherry's obsession with glitter comes in handy." sawyer said.

"yeah, i'm so glad i had a pocket full of glitter." i said.

"of course you do. why do you have a pocket full of glitter?" sawyer asked.

"i also have a pocket full of peanuts." i said; taking a handful and throwing them at him.

sawyer very clearly hated the peanuts, but at least it wasn't the glitter.

i walked into the locker room with bella the next day.

"bella, look, we were so busy accusing you because you guys are new and girls, you're a bulldog. and you belong in this locker room as much as any man on this team." troy said.

"surprise!" the team said, opening the weird curtain to reveal a room.

it was red and pink, sparkly, and had makeup in every corner.

i screamed, throwing myself onto the red velvet couch.

"how did you guys do all this?" bella asked.

"i took inspiration from cherry's stupid instagram." sawyer shrugged.

"don't lie, you just wanted to stalk her." troy laughed.

"i wouldn't stalk her! i hate her!" sawyer defended himself.

he would be lying if he said he hadn't stared at her photos for maybe a little too long, but he didn't like her.

cherry stood up from admiring the couch.

"i love it!" bella screamed.

coach turned on glitter cheeks, doing a weird little dance.

"i would insult you, but i see too much red to care." cherry smiled.

"gee, thanks." sawyer said, but was cut off.

cherry's arms were wrapped around him, the cold crystal beads and pearls on his neck.

she smelled like money and flowers, and he saw nothing but red.

he stood frozen, arms barely reaching to hug her back.

"ew, i'm never doing that ever again." cherry cringed, fake gagging.

"yeah, i hated that." sawyer scoffed.