VIII: Staying Low

The thunderous banging on my door shot me and Imani straight up in bed, waking us up from deep slumber. Slight fear and worry ran through me as I heard the bellowing indignant voice behind it, "Imani, bring yo ass out here right now! I know you up in there!"

It was Marquis.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath.

Imani swung her feet out the bed and quickly put her shoes on. "Fucking, Blickey! I know his bitch ass snitched. I just know it!" she said.

I got out the bed as well and rushed to my door. Marquis' banging persisted. "Marquis, what the heck are you doing here?! Imani's not-"

He banged on the door causing it to shake on it's hinges, "Don't give me that fucking bullshit, Naomi! I know she's fucking here."

"I could call the cops on you for picking the lock again! You trespassing and-"

He banged on the door one more time and I was sure it was close to breaking off, "I don't give a shit what I'm doing! Open this damn door or I'll-"

"Ok! Ok! Just please calm down! I'll let you in but you gotta relax."

There was a brief moment of peace until he spoke again, more calm and collected. "A'ight...I'm cool."

After a beat I finally opened the door, but before I opened all the door way, Marquis came in shoving me with the door harshly and stormed over to Imani grabbing her by the collar. "Didn't I fucking tell you to stay low?! What the hell you doin over here, huh? You know yo bitch ass is hot right now! You're a fucking walking target! You want Naomi dying because of you?!"

I came over to them and tried to get Marquis to let go of Imani but Imani told me to stay back. "Marquis let her go, please!"

"Shut up, Naomi! This between me and Imani!"

"I-I'm sorry, Kiss. I had-"

"You had to stay at Pinpoint!" he hollered, pushing her to onto the ground.

I rushed to her side but Imani stuck her hand out to keep me at a distance from them. "Kiss...you knew how important yesterday was to me. Naomi needed me. Bad enough I wasn't there for the announcement, but I had to know if she made it."

"I don't give a fuck! I got word that Goblin hot on yo tail and I gotta shake Blickey to see where yo ass at?! If I say hang low I fucking mean that shit! Bad enough I worry 'bout yo ass gettin'shot in these streets, last thing I need is for you to drag Naomi into it too! I gave yo yellow ass those fucking instructions because I'm tryna keep both of yo asses alive! You disobey me again I swear to God I'll kill ya myself before Goblin has the chance to. Get yo light skinned narrow headed ass up and come on!" With that he stormed out my room.

I finally ran over to Imani and made sure she was fine, "Cupid, I'm a'ight. Chill."

"Your brother really needs to not put his hands on you. Why is he so mad? Imani, please tell me what's goin on."

She stared at me for a beat and shook her head, "I-I can't...not yet. But he's right. I shouldn't've came here. It was way too risky. Naomi, I'm so sorry."

"It's fine! It's fine. But-"

"Imani!!" Marquis shouted.

"I gotta go. I-I'll talk to you when I can." She hugged me tightly for a long moment before finally breaking it after her name being called again. She pecked my cheek and left my house with Marquis.

My mind flooded with thoughts on what kind of deep trouble Imani gotten herself into. The possibilities...were worrisome.

Trevor Jackson as Marquis Davis