39 - something happens when everybody finds out

Comenzar desde el principio

skye🦋: ily mom💕
skye🦋: can't wait for lover to come out !!!🥳

It was amazing to see Corinne get to experience Lover for the first time. She wasn't the biggest fan of Taylor, but she and Maeve used to listen to Taylor all the time, so she was very familiar with her and still liked her music a lot.

We sat cuddled up on the couch as the album played through the speakers in the living room, and I was just so happy.

When ME! started playing, I decided to record a video for Taylor, letting her know how much I loved the album and how proud I was of her. Corinne was agreeing to my words next to me by nodding her head, and she wrapped her arm around my back about halfway through the video.

"Love you mom! See ya tomorrow!" I ended the video and grinned as I sent it to Taylor.

"You're so lucky, Skye," Corinne said quietly when the album looped and I Forgot That You Existed started playing again.

I turned to look at her with a questioning smile at the random statement. "Why am I lucky?"

"Your life just seems so great," she said, making me frown slightly.

"I don't know if I'd call growing up without parents great, but..."

"No, maybe not... from your perspective. But I'm sure almost every kid growing up with parents has dreamed about being an orphan."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "I'm not an orphan and I've never been an orphan."

"You know what I mean. Foster kid then."

I felt myself starting to get slightly frustrated with her against my own will, because it was release day and being in a bad mood was the least that I wanted.

"I know I have wished I didn't have to live with my mom since all she does is pick fights with me anyway," Corinne continued.

"But you have a mom... who loves you and who didn't leave you, and who you've grown up with, and knows you inside and out."

Corinne shook her head slightly. "She doesn't know me that well."

"At least you have a mom."

I know I started to show the frustration in my voice now.

"You got a mom too who actually really cares about you," she said.

"Well, yeah. I do now, but only for like a couple of months. But what about younger Skye who grew up without parents? I didn't have anyone who could teach me how to tie my own shoelaces or how to read, or how to tell time. I didn't have anyone to even show me they cared, but you did."

Corinne looked at me and I could tell she still didn't get it.

"Don't wish you were a foster kid. Think about all the kids who grew up without parents and who still don't have any." I was thinking about everyone at my old house, about Finley's Good Luck party next week. "Who grew out of the system and have to do everything on their own. And who don't have enough money to pay for college, so they have to work at some... trashy old diner, waitressing for disgustin' old men who... catcall and harass them for the rest of their lives; until they find a way out. But if they don't, they're trapped there, without the option to go to college or get a good life, just because they didn't grow up with parents. Just because they were foster kids. They have to do whatever necessary to survive on their own because no one will help them. You don't have that problem."

I was ranting and exaggerating, but this was obviously something I was passionate about, and it frustrated me that she still didn't really seem to understand.