(9) Benefit of the Doubt part 3

Window beats rock, poor fed up Doc, Shopping is a modern day practice of torture, and never trust a Teddy Bear

——————

February 13 2x26, Monday 11:53 am, Wellston Private High School (Roof)

Launching himself up the stairs, skipping steps two at a time John practically flew to each platform, huffing as the precariously balanced food tray in his hands teetered to the side and threatened to spill its contents.

Although Ms. Kwalski had given him crap for his continued pattern of tardiness, the rest of his classes came and went without much trouble which was, interesting to say the least. It was almost unsettling how little he had encountered so far.

Even the teasing has lessened, which had used to follow him around like a swarm of flies. People would look, sure, open their mouths in a way that suggested smack talk. But their expressions would change from mocking to sober, often as a result of someone else urgently whispering the events of the morning. Watching their air of superiority deteriorate into something that was more retrospective than anything else...

It was about time the student body had a wake up call!

That same evaluating gaze that Arlo had scanned him with was now echoed in the face of every student who he passed and it left him wondering what exactly they were looking for.

And whether or not they found it.

Anxiety trilled in low tones within his chest. Even if the constant staring was way less worse than the bullying, it didn't mean that he preferred it. But the strangest part of it all was the absolute silence that stalked him as he traveled through the halls, and it was eerie. Like the entire student body was holding their breath, anticipating who was going to throw the first punch. If only they could just-

Frowning, his eyes shifted downwards. And his steady jogging slowed to a stop.

There wasn't any point giving himself false hope. The world had the Hierarchy literally beaten into them, as not just the worlds government but a several millennia long tradition. Expecting any of them to change their ways would be like pulling teeth.

No point in hoping anyone would treat him like a regular person...

"Im working for a better future. A kinder world, one where Hierarchy doesn't exist and people's worth isn't dependent on how they're born. I don't want our abilities to be viewed as tools to control others, but as a way to find solutions to unique problems-"

'Shut up!'

Relentlessly Athena's voice made itself heard, grasping for every opportunity to sway him.

'You can fight for it if you want.' He mentally scoffed, but it was more a matter of disregarding himself than his sister. The amount of faith she had in him, and her unwavering conviction that he was necessary felt entirely unreasonable. 'I'm not capable enough to change anythin.'

She was better off without him. At least then he wouldn't be able to screw anything up...

Besides, if he had Sera, John didn't need anyone else. She was more than enough for him.

When voices below started growing louder, both of them familiar and one of them identifiable as the tenacious force he was trying to outmaneuver, John deftly leaped to the next step and picked up the pace.