***
I have never felt more unprepared in my entire life, the very first show is today, and our team hadn't practiced collaboratively once. To be frank, I hadn't seen any of them ride once, and after school every day I went to practice for athletes an hour, I had seen tons of people practice while I was practicing, the odd thing was that none of the groups practiced together, which didn't seem very smart, because their time was added together. The last time you got first prize and so on, you wanted to try and get anything under a minute and thirty seconds and you should be around average. 

“Sterling Silver '' The announcer called, I glanced around, wondering in what order we would go. “The camera zoomed in on my face, and I'm sure the commenter would say something about me looking confused. “Made up of Rose Sersha, Ben Jameson, Stella Rose, and Damion Green. First up from Sterling Silver, is Rose Sersha, who is accompanied by her horse Clover Leaf '' I gave my team a sharp nod, as I trotted up to the starting gate. What didn't make it any easier, was that we were being filmed live on TV, there would be three more schools after this that we would compete against, one every quarter. 

I steadied Clover, ignoring the flashes of cameras, and the weird looks I was getting, for facing away from the gate. I nudged Clover with my heel, and we were off. I might have a slight advantage over everyone because I rode a lot of jumpers in my days. I had no problem getting into a jumping position, only sitting down at the turns. Any western trainer would reject me in a second mainly because of my style. 

“Rose Sersha starts off the year giving us an amazing performance, in only 15.24 seconds the crowd is on their feet, cheering this young girl on '' The announcer said. I quickly untacked Clover, walking him around to cool off, there was a tv overhead, so I could see Ben. His round was going so good until the last barrel, where at first look it seemed as if his leg knocked the barrel over. I looked closer in the replay, it almost looked like his horse ran right into the barrel. His rains were loose enough to say that he didn't guide his horse enough, but there was no way his horse didn't see that its head was about to hit the barrel. Normally if a barrel was turned over, then the contestant wouldn't get time at all, in our league or whatever you wanted to call it, you got thirty seconds in addition to your run, meaning that right now we were already past a minute in time. 

Stella’s run was perfect but her 16 something seconds couldn't save us from Damion’s run which was a mess. Between the first and second barrel, something must have spooked his horse, because his horse took off back towards the finish line, throwing a fair share of bucks. The rules with going off course only added another 45 seconds to our final time. In the end, we had over two minutes, coming very last place, and everyone was talking about it, and I finally understood, what they meant by the ‘good luck losers, you're going to need it and I kind of agree with whoever got expelled for doing that, we would need a whole lot of help. 
***
Vote if you liked it

Comment your thoughts

Share with your friends

~G