Chapter 7 - The Shadow

Start from the beginning

     He looked at the other woman and she wasn't as surprised as he was.

     He was able to observe the Head Keeper's appearance though. The last time he only saw the back of her head when she took her helmet off to look at that child demon. Maybe this would make those two happy? They were staring at the woman pretty intensely when they were here.

    A few minutes went by and (Y/N) still hadn't tapped out of the demon's mind. Usually, it took her 30 seconds, maybe a minute but it's been almost 5 minutes. Saren tilted her head at the lady as she observed her face. She's only ever seen her friend read minds twice but something seemed different this time. Suddenly (Y/N)'s eyes began to widen and she looked startled.

    Both Saren and Dog watched her as she narrowed her eyes at something. Her eyes began to get brighter by the second which made the Scientist feel concerned. "(Y/N)? You alright...?"

    She reached her hand out to tap her shoulder before (Y/N) quickly jumped back and screamed, breaking the connection with the demon.

     (Y/N) began grabbing at herself like she was checking for injuries and her breathing began to quicken.

"Woah (Y/N)! What happened?!" Saren rushed to the woman's side and carefully grabbed her shoulders while (Y/N) started pulling off her gloves. Once they came off, Dog caught sight of her hands that made his eyes widen.

    She had black veins. They stretched all across her hands and around her fingers as they showed through her skin. Her fingers were a slight dark grey that blended into her skin tone which then became darker at her nails. That's not what a human's hands were supposed to look like.

    (Y/N) quickly ran her eyes over her hands before she began to calm down.

"What happened? What did you see?" Saren asked. She's never seen her react like this when it came to using her ability.

"...There was... a demon."

"A demon?" Saren looked back to the one in the cage but she doubt something like that could scare the woman this much.

"Not that one... it was bigger." (Y/N) pulled her hands into her coat, trying to hide them. Saren got the hint and retrieved her gloves for her to put back on.

"There was so many of them... So many demons crowding around it like they were listening to it. Like it was their leader. That one was there too." (Y/N) pointed to the demon in the cage once she had her gloves back on.

     Dog listened intently. Did she see what he thinks she saw?

    Saren looked to the floor as she narrowed her eyes. "Demons... and a leader?"

"It was telling yelling over them. It had this loud deep voice that made the floor shake. I couldn't see what it looked like. Everything was so blurry..." (Y/N) tried her best to recall all the details she saw but all she managed to see was a blurry silhouette of something that towered over all the other demons around. What concerned her was the number of demons all in one place. None of them fighting, they all just listened.

"Why did you freak out? You took off your gloves too."

    (Y/N) felt her hands as she recalled the last moments of the memory. It gave her a bad feeling by how familiar it felt.

"The demon got pinned down by another. Everything was still blurry so I... couldn't see that well. The other demon grabbed its hands and tore them off."

    Saren widened her eyes and turned back to the demon in the cage. She looked towards its hands and they were there but a lighter shade than the rest of its greyish skin. That could be a sign that its hands grew back since then.