Chapter 23: Campsite of the Dead

Start from the beginning

I pulled it close to me.

The boy soon held his left arm over his right knee, and he asked me, "You all right?" in his kind voice.

Still speechless, I just nodded. I could not bring myself to words here. I was in shock.

Next, the boy held out to me...my flowers and added with, "You dropped these."

I reached one hand out the blanket and took the flowers. I couldn't even bring myself to say, "Thank you."

        What he did next was remarkable. After he made sure I was all right, he reached behind his back and pulled out two, random stones as if by magic and an unlit, wooden torch.

I watched as he fell to his hands and knees in front of me and smacked the stones together. Immediately, there was a spark, and the boy started to blow. Within seconds, his torch was lit, and he stood back up. I saw the light in the sky again. It was starting to fade. I gasped and realized what it was. That light was another torch. Apparently this boy loved torches.

He started to wave his torch to the floating one and yelled, "Ro, over here! Tell Dempsey that he and his friends should keep pushing! Get them off the lake! It's way too foggy!" However, just as soon as he appeared, he disappeared. I heard a flapping sound, and it came closer and closer. The mysterious hermit next turned on his heel, and he stumbled towards the island's point again.

"Wait!" I called. I reached out to him.

The hermit stopped and peered over his shoulder to me with his torch still clutched tightly in his hand. He suddenly looked very frightened.

I stood up and opened my mouth to speak, but I struggled with my words. When I finally caught them, I asked him, "Who are you?" in a desperate tone.

"A friend," was his answer. With that, he blew out his torch and dove behind the point again.

        Keeping the blanket wrapped around me, I went after him. I looked around the point, and I saw him. Ihaan was swimming away. Yeah, I think I already mentioned this, but I'll mention it again... This mysterious boy was Ihaan, the boy who changed the trip forever. I called to him, "Come back! Just tell me who you are!"

Ihaan peered back to me. He kind of looked like a merman with the way he was swimming. "I'm the only kid!" I yelled, "I'm the only kid! I need you!"

He didn't come back. He just took a deep breath and dove underwater.

I groaned and stomped my foot. Ihaan was a very shy boy, audience, so don't be surprised that he refused to stay with me.

        Soon after he vanished underwater, I suddenly heard, "Kylie!" behind me. It was Mom. I turned, and my jaw dropped to the ground. Camp Juniper's canoes had pulled up to the beach, and Mom approached me. Crying, she pulled me into a hug and sobbed, "Don't scare me like that! Are you all right?!" She took my shoulders and peered down on my blanket, "Where did you get that blanket?"

"Oh." I stammered, "Long story, Mom. Don't worry, I'm all right." Mom continued to hug me, but I didn't hug her back because I was still in a bit of a bad mood. My eyes rolled over to Dad who leaped out of his canoe.

"Well," he said, and he placed his hands on his hips, "we're not going to try that again. Camp Juniper," He gestured with his hand at the island, "welcome to the first campsite."

        Uncle Macon did an investigation of the island's campsite to make sure it was big enough. While he did that, the rest of Camp Juniper tried to recover from the experience with the fog. We all had to comfort Aunt Lydia because she was still crying.