Project Genome

The cultures were completely ruined. The experiment was a failure. Dr. Lane rubbed his temples trying to ease the stiffness in his neck. He grabbed the Petri dishes out of the analyzer and threw them into the rejection pile. The holographic display relentlessly flashed FAIL.

"Lewis has the new stock arrived?"

Lewis rushed into the lab with a large fishbowl. He placed it in front of the doctor and rubbed his wet palms on his lab coat.

"Is this it?" Dr. Lane asked, "Two goldfish".

"There were two more. I put them in cryo."

Dr. Lane tapped the bowl trying to grab the fish's attention. When he was satisfied that they were ignoring him he entered the data of the new test subjects into the system.

"Doctor, I am sorry about the experiment," Lewis said. He stopped mopping the water he had spilled from the fishbowl. "I should have ordered the right type of dish. I didn't know it would ruin everything."

"Shut up, Lewis," yelled Dr. Lane.

Lewis stumbled back, slipped, and fell on his ass. He sat on the floor with the mop in his hand. Dr. Lane remained seated but turned to him.

"You didn't ruin anything. The conditions weren't right."

"But ..."

"That's all."

Dr. Lane's gaze softened. Lewis was younger than Ada by many years. Unlike Ada, he was an orphan. He was born on one of the irregular moons of Neptune and somehow he ended up here on Alpha Cygnus. All these details were in his file but why was he chosen to be a lab assistant was not.

"Everything in this lab is secured and carefully monitored." Dr. Lane said, "The Fisks are extremely meticulous. They do not take errors lightly."

Lewis nodded. He understood Dr. Lane's hint. The lab was under surveillance. They suspected it was audio but they couldn't confirm it.

"Now get off the floor and get back to work."

The lab doors swished open and a cool breeze swept into the warm lab. Lewis shivered and slipped back into a corner. Corvus Cynus strode in followed by his attendant. Corvus eyed Lewis and the wet floor. He snapped his scaly fingers at the attendant who typed something into his mini tab.

"Dr. Lane, I did not receive your progress report."

"I still have time to send it in."

"Time," scoffed Corvus, "It is a human construct. We do not believe in it."

Lewis covered his ears to protect them from the screeches. He had lost his translator when he fell and it lay against the attendant's foot. Corvus waited for a reply but didn't get one. The lab was silent except for the flashing on the display which now read NEW TEST - BEGIN.

"New Test, Dr. Lane?" Corvus asked, "What was the outcome of the previous test?"

"The experiment was a failure," Dr. Lane sighed, "the details are in the report. I have already sent it to you."

"Another failure, Dr. Lane is not acceptable. We had a deal."

"I know."

Corvus turned to leave but stopped mid way. "Your offspring has been rescued and is on her way to the new world. It would be most unfortunate if she did not reach her destination."

Lewis had slowly inched his way behind Dr. Lane hoping to reach his translator. Suddenly, Dr. Lane sprang towards Corvus but was held back by Lewis. The attendant positioned himself in front of Corvus arms spread out as though he was making an air angle.

"How dare you threaten my family," Dr. Lane shouted.

"It is not a threat Dr. Lane," he said "It is merely a possible outcome of your failure."

"He is doing the best he can," Lewis replied.

"His best is not good enough."

Dr. Lane had calmed down and Lewis let go of him. Dr. Lane slumped into his chair. The goldfish had settled to the bottom of their bowl. The Lab was quiet again.

Corvus tapped on the system screen. He left the folder and entered the home screen. After a few more taps a sand glass timer appeared on the display.

"That is the time it will take for the ship your offspring is traveling in to come out of Phoenix X-1. I recommend that you have news for us by then."

"If I don't," Dr. Lane stammered.

"As the King's advisor, it is my duty to report all matters of concern".

Corvus smirked and left with his assistant. Lewis let out a huge sigh of relief and grabbed his translator. He fiddled with it and then stuck it in his ear.

"What was all that about? It didn't sound pleasant."

"It wasn't pleasant."

"What is that thing?"

Lewis pointed to the timer. Dr. Lane typed in commands and a count down appeared below the sand glass.

"That's how much time we have to get this experiment to work."

"That's too less!" Lewis panicked.

"Have we received the two compartment Petri dishes?"

"Yes, doctor."

"You wouldn't have by any change ordered a miracle?"

"No, doctor but I got the next best thing."

"What?"

"I read that our Earth ancestors believed they brought luck."

Lewis dug into his pocket and put out a mini gnome holding a fortune ball. He placed it next to the goldfish.

This is written for the Ultimate Science Fiction Smack Down Round  Prompt 2.

Word Count 878