Blast Off

T minus 30 minutes

"Is all the cargo fasted down?"

"Yes, Captain."

"And the equipment?"

"It's moved. Evan has double checked the lab."

"Is everyone on the shuttle, Myra?"

"No captain. Miss Ada, she's at the relic."

"Damn! That woman will be the death of us all."

Ada Lane stood in front of the relic which had brought her great grandfather to this planet. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she rested her palm on the decayed metal structure. Rusted particles rose from what used to once be a magnificent ship. The Avenue was designed in the shape of a wheel to represent motion and change. The spokes were the pillars that held the ship together as humans departed Earth.

"Earth.The Blue Planet. That's where we're from." Her grandfather used to tell her. Till the day he died, he repeat those words. He was born on earth. They were Earthlings. In 27 minutes, she would lose her connection to Earth. Her connection to her ancestors and possibly her last attachment to being an Earthling. This relic will be gone just like Earth.

T minus 25 minutes

"Ada ... Ada ... get back to base ... Ada." her comm crackled.

"I am on my way, Capt." Ada replied.

"You ... your butt ... asap. There ... time ... the shuttle .... with depart ... without you."

"I am there Capt. ... Capt."

Ada rushed to her mini craft. With one last look of goodbye, she started back to base. The solar winds were stronger and the ride was bumpy.

"Capt. ... Capt. ... Myra ... is anyone there?"

The winds were disrupting the comms. All she got was static. They had gotten stronger when the sun had expanded. Soon, her home would be gone. Just like Earth, Neptune would be swallowed up.

T minus 10 minutes

"Capt. ... Myra!" Ada ran into the shelter. It was all that remained of the base.

"Ada back here. Quick."

Ada hurried out the back door and climbed on the space shuttle.

T minus 5 minutes

"I thought you left without me," she said.

"I would have."

"I know. How long will it take to leave the Solar System?"

"It'll take 2 light-years to the new planet."

BLAST OFF.

The is written for the Sci-Fi Competitions and Challenges. The Ultimate Science Fiction Smack Down.

Word Count - 374