4

"That bread had mold on it three days ago." Pope said to JJ as he made a sandwich.

    "I'll just pull off the bad parts. And besides, mold is good for you. It's a natural organism." He replied.

    "It may be good for you, but that doesn't mean it tastes good." I said as I came around the corner, kissing JJ's cheek and making him blush as I walked to my brother and the siblings, the package in my brother's hands.

    "Let's do it!" JJ walked over to us and but into his sandwich, immediately gagging and spitting it out into a trash can.

    John B opened the package and opened a map, setting it on the table. "Woah,"

    "Ooh. X marks the spot." Pope pointed to a black X on the paper.

    "Longitude, latitude." John B looked at the map.

    I looked inside the package. "Wait, there's something else in here."

    "What's that?" JJ asked as I pulled out a tape recorder.

    "It's a tape recorder." Kiara answered.

    I looked at my brother and he nodded, I set it on the table and hit play, having a red button flash and the recording play.

    "Dear Birdies," our father's voice came from the recording.

    "Who's Birdies?" JJ asked.

    "That's what our father used to call us." John B answered, looking at me and taking my hand.

    "I hate to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. And you both doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're both filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kids. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either. You two were probably right to call me ouf. I wasn't exactly Father of the Decade. What could I say? I could smell the barn. And hopefully we're listening to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you two find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's that the map is for. There she is, the wreck of the Merchant."

    Someone put a hand on my shoulder and I looked over to find JJ looking at me, nodding slowly and stepping closer to me to let me rest my head on his shoulder as we listened.

    "If something happens to me, finish what I started. Go for the gold, kids. I love you, Birdies, even if I didn't always act like it. John, take care of Riley. Same for you Ri. I'll see you both on the other side." Our father's voice cut off at the end of the recording.

    I looked over at John B as he got up and walked away, then looked at KeKe. "KeKe, can you go see if B's okay?"

    She nodded and stood up from her chair, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder before heading out to help my brother.

    "Ri, you need a pick-me-up?" JJ asked.

    "If that entails weed, I'm not in the mood." I answered, looking over at Pope.

    Pope looked at me for a second before walking over to me and letting me step into his arms for a hug.

———

"How much was it again?" JJ asked, leaning back in the foldable chair with his arms still around my waist, allowing me to lean back into his chest.

    "Four hundred mil." Pope answered, looking at us. "You two aren't even dating. Why are you guys so into cuddles now?"

    "He actually gives great hugs, dude. No need to be jealous." I answered.

    John B choked on his drink and ended up coughing. "No. No way. None of you are gonna date my twin. That's just weird."