Chapter 18. Two Months Ago - Early May

Start from the beginning

He manages to throw Detective Luo out of the way and his energy shield manages to stop them from dying in the fire afterwards.

When he wakes he's in the hospital, Lan Xichen at his side, Mother beside him.

Seeing her washed in weak sunlight, her deep green turtleneck and pale gold jewelry seeming so resplendent next to Brother's white uniform coat, he feels a child's relief at having his family by his side and the panic of an adult with far too many secrets to hide. Including her life.

The sound he makes is faint for all the urgency behind it and Brother is in his line of sight in a second. "A-Zhan? A-Zhan it's alright. You are safe." His brother's face is pale, rings of blue around his eyes, but his hands are gentle as they grip his. His voice is soothing, the tone the same as a thousand nights of nightmares and childhood training injuries. The confusion and dejection of the world, soothed by that voice.

"Zhan-er?" His mother says softly stroking his hair, from the other side, her eyes bright with emotion, "Be still. You're in the hospital. Zhan-er, its okay."

Panic and confusion subside only slightly, remembering that Brother is the very last person who would risk his family. Nothing to Brother was worth the potential of injury or death, happening wither Mother or him. So he must have found a way for Mother to bulldoze her way here into the hospital, without anyone finding out.

It was okay. The risk had been mitigated. His family was safe.

His body went limp, the fight ebbing away like water through his fingers.

The beeping of the machines so loud...the pain rushes in and he grips Mother's hand as it all falls away....

He suffered a head injury that nearly killed him, burns and a broken leg

He suffered a head injury that nearly killed him, burns and a broken leg. SCD hand him leave and his superiors are adament that he rests. His network is looking into the attack and his plan is a ruin.

Jin Zixuan is in Lanling and is suggesting they switch. He can coordinate with Lan Zhan across the distance to capture the Wen Sect in their net. Their plan will still work. They have enough evidence to shock the world, reports that cannot be denied, murders they have actual evidence for. Inside trading, embezzlement, false contracts, Figbird's unearthed recording of Wen Chao and his brother arguing before he died. Words like 'only if I die will that happen' in Wen Xu's voice.