VIII.

"HEY

"HEY. CAN I SIT?" Coach Bombay had walked into the diner Charlie's mom worked at. Charlie and Y/n were sitting at the bar doing homework.

"Sure," Charlie replied, starting to chew on his pencil.

"You guys talk to the team yet?" Coach Bombay asked the two kids.

"We tried. They think we're traitors for even showing up," Y/n answered, looking back at her homework.

The coach sighed, "I guess they really hate me, huh?"

"Is it true you were really a Hawk?" Charlie suddenly asked Coach Bombay. This made Y/n quickly bring her head up.

"Yeah," He replied, looking ashamed.

Charlie took a moment before saying, "Peter said you blew a really big game once." Y/n smacked him on the arm, for she thought it wasn't appropriate to bring up.

"Yeah, well, Peter's right," Coach Bombay has hastily. "It was the last game of the state finals. We were tied 2-2 in the end of the third period. I get a penalty shot. I go in, I triple deke. I fake the goalie right out of his pads."

The coach took a deep breath, "The puck's headed in, and then... Clang! Hits the post. We lost in overtime."

Charlie groaned, knowing what it's like to blow a shot.

"A quarter of an inch this way and it would've gone in. A quarter of an inch!" He finished.

"Yeah, but a quarter of an inch the other way and you'd have missed completely," Y/n stated.

Coach Bombay softly chuckled, "I never thought of it that way."

"At least you got to play in a championship game. God, that must have been so cool," Charlie exclaimed, while fantasizing what it would be like.

Casey walked over to where they were all sitting, "Hey. Can I get you a cup of coffee?"

"I'd love one," Coach Bombay responded, watching her walk away.

"Y'know, she has many fine qualities that men find attractive," Charlie whispered to his coach.

"I know that, Charlie. That fact hasn't escaped me," Coach said with a smile. "So, what kind of guys does she usually date?"

Charlie sighed before answering, "Jerks. I mean, most of them like her, but as soon as they catch a glimpse of me..." He smacked his hands together. "Pow! Warp speed! They are gone!"

"Don't take it personally, Charlie," The coach felt bad for the boy and his mom.

Charlie dryly chucked, "Oh, I wouldn't even care, except it's not fair to my mom. She deserves somebody nice."

He paused and scratched his cheek, "Are you gonna come over for dinner again?"

"I don't know, Charlie. I'm not sure it's such a good idea. See, that's what I wanted to talk to you about," He stopped for a moment. "I, um.. talking to Terry and Jesse's dad, and he's gonna take over coaching for the rest of the year."