- Part 11

It was 3:10pm, ten minutes after school ended.

I was waiting at the top of the stairwell leading to the school roof.

During last period, I had Yukina excuse herself from class early so she could black out the security cameras pointing at the stairwell with spray paint, similar to how Kasai did when Machida's faction trashed our classroom.

I also ordered her to snip the protective mesh fencing with clippers to create an opening for Kouji to enact his revenge.

Meanwhile, I set up a honey trap to lure Matsushita up here. To do so, yesterday I asked Rinbayashi to send him a romantically suggestive message asking to meet on the roof, like she was going to confess to him.

It must've worked, because when school ended, instead of going home with his friends, he immediately headed to the rooftop. Five minutes later, I followed him upstairs, confirming that he was alone and waiting.

Everything was set. I sent Kouji the message and waited.

Worst case scenario, Matsushita decides this isn't worth his time and leaves. However, I doubt that, since it's obvious he has a crush on Rinbayashi.

In May, he tried to get her on his platoon, and when Mikitaka asked what kind of woman was his type, he answered a girl with long black hair and a modest body. Rinbayashi was the only girl in our class who perfectly fit that description.

If he did try to leave, I wouldn't mind intervening. By that point, Kouji probably wouldn't show up, so I could take the centerstage without worry.

However, my backup plans were for naught as Kouji arrived at the stairwell a few minutes later.

"You weren't kidding about this, huh...?"

With a heavy sigh, Kouji peeked through the gap in the door. He narrowed his eyes, spotting Matsushita waiting on the bench. I put my finger to my lips, signalling to him to hush his voice.

"Not in the slightest."

"I'll admit... I'm impressed."

"Whenever you're ready, the stage is yours. Yukina snipped the fencing straight ahead of us. If you push Matsushita through that, he'll fall through."

Kouji stared at the fencing with a distant look in his eyes.

"...I see."

"Are you having second thoughts?"

He clenched his fists and shook his head.

"...forget it."

With a deep sigh, Kouji stepped onto the rooftop. I peered through the crack in the door to watch.

Slowly, Kouji walked towards Matsushita with an indifferent look on his face.

As his dull footsteps echoed in the air, Matsushita lifted his head to see who was there.

When he did, he stared at Kouji with mild surprise.

"...you're not Rinbayashi-san."

"Guess I'm not, huh?"

The moment they made eye contact, Kouji's face contorted into disgust. Then, into anger. Then, into rage.

"What are you doing up here?"

I could feel the tension rise between them as Matsushita stood up to assert his dominance over Kouji.

"...to get my revenge!"

Even though he was shaking, Kouji shouted bravely with resolve.

"Huh?"

"I said... I'm here to get my revenge!"