22

The Elderclock began to chime nine bells and it was time

The Elderclock began to chime nine bells and it was time. They established their targets and travelled through a ventilation duct to get to a meeting room of sorts where guards would search the menagerie women. Once the guards left so the girls could set themselves to rights, Nina dropped their pulses and before their bodies even hit the ground, the three exited the vent.

Inej landed gracefully. Nina fell in a heap. Mavka practically landed in the womans lap, which they all shared a quick snicker at.

They had five minutes to strip the Kaelish, Ravkan and Suli girls to their underclothes, hide the unconious bodies and dress themselves appropriately.

"The Ravkan girl had short hair so were in luck, but it was black, so come here."

"I should have just stayed behind." She had murmured so quietly they almost missed it.

Inej shook her head. Despite the fact she needed the most work done to go undercover, they needed her. Mavka didn't see it from their perspective.

"We need you. And it'd be foolish to deny ourselves an extra hand." Nina stated firmly.

Mavka quickly slid on a black satin dress - the fabric hung loosely at her chest, with thin straps that held it in place. The back was completely bare save for the straps that formed a criss cross to keep the slippery fabric in place. Some of her scars peeked out at the back of the skirt, silvery lines. The skirt was shorter than she'd have liked at the front but the back had a long piece of dark fabric that trailed the floor when she walked, and when she glanced down at herself in the right light the black of the dress had a rusty orange, iridescent shimmer.

She sighed heavily, tugging the shimmering skirt down, uncomfortable.

Nina had bled the colour from the girls hair into Mavka's and worked quickly to change the style slightly, straightening her curls and giving her a blocky, straight fringe. The blunt hair made her cheekbones look sharper and when she glanced in the mirror over Nina's shoulder, she was annoyed to think she didn't hate it. Still, it wasn't her.

The end of a bunch of twisting leaves poked out below the skirt, the vines wrapping around her knee and behind. Above it was a sparrow mid flight, hidden. The black ink on her pale skin was very noticeable and she hurried Nina on as she tried to smooth them out to her skin tone.