5

The next few fights went by in a daze, and Nina's mood was plummeting the more time they spent doing nothing but watch

When Matthias Helvar stepped out of the mouth of the cave, Nina somehow looked worse.

The wheel spun and it landed on white wolves.

Nina watched, frozen and horrified at the sight.

Mavka grimaced and mouthed Ravkan swears to no one but herself.

She knew this to be both a blessing and a curse. Wolves were easier to fight off, even in a small pack in comparison to everything on that wheel. But she knew white wolves were sacred to their kind, that they looked upon the stunning creatures like kin. To kill them would be a disgrace to his people, everything he knew.

Nina reached past Mavka at Kaz to grasp his arm. "You have to stop this."

Mavka pulled at Nina's wrist, shaking her head adamantly.

A small bubble of irritation grew at seeing her touch him so freely.

Kaz glowered at her through his mask. "Let go of me, Nina." His gravel rough voice was low, with real menace in it.

Mavka prised her fingers off of his arm and clutched Nina's hand in her own, squeezing it to give her some semblance of comfort.

And still, they watched Matthias do it with tears streaming down his face as he leant against the pelt of the last, bleeding wolf before him.

Soon he was taken away and Nina was shaking.

"Where are they taking him?" Nina asked with a wavering voice.

"To a cell to sleep off the fight."

"Who will see to his injuries?"

Mavka wanted to say 'you, probably.' But she remained silent, as usual.

Kaz told them they would wait to ensure he was alone.

Minutes passed by, as did the next fight, and now Mavka could feel her blood buzzing with energy.

Kaz looked down at her and nodded once, looking back at Nina. "Both of you, now. The guard first."

They cast a glance at the prison guard standing in the archway.

"How down?"

"Shut eye."

She nodded. They followed Kaz to the arch they entered from. The crowd took no notice of them.

"Need your escort?" The guard asked as they approached.

"I had a question," said kaz. Mavka sighed to herself, knowing that mischievous tone. Nina's hand moved from the confines of her cape subtly. "About your mother and whether the rumours are true."