6

They sat around the gambling parlour of the club, amongst tables covered in crimson cloth flocked with the repeating pattern of crows in flight, surrounded by black lacquered walls.

Matthias sat on a single chair to the side of everyone else, his legs and arms retsrained by thickly tied rope.

Nina set next to Inej, while Jesper was in the corner with his knees drawn up.

Mavka had perched on the floor with her legs crossed similar to a child, her precious short sword in its sheath beside her on the floor, the sleeves of her black jacket rolled up carelessly. In the lantern light, think, harsh lines of whitened skin amongst angrier pink ones marred her forearms, illuminating the tiny nicks and smaller scars across the backs of her hands as a result.

A boy sat at one of the card tables, his blonde curls falling in his face as he concentrated on the little drawings on the scrap of paper before him. He occasionally gnawed on his thumb, intent on keeping his head down amongst the group of criminals.

Kaz was standing, partially leaning against a table pressed against the wall in a way that he faced everyone in the room.

He addressed them all about what he knew, and what she had heard while eavesdropping before.

The cross legged girl to his right looked up when she felt an icy stare on her, only to find the Fjerdan in the corner watching her closely. He didnt even look at Nina, so set his hatred for most Grisha on Mavka - or that's what she'd figured, anyways.

She didnt miss the way his eyes roamed her scarred arms and ended up looking away, pulling her sleeves back down and bunching them in her hands, uncomfortable.

Kaz continued, explaining the drug jurda parem and its worrying effects on Grisha, only adding to her discomfort. Her leg ended up bouncing up and down and she didnt even notice. Kaz gave her a look for it mid talking that she missed staring down at her hands.

At mentions of the impossibly high reward, a few people perked up. Then there was the absurd idea of attempting a raid on the Ice Court.

When he finished the summary, Matthias's voice broke through the silence.

"No."

"Believe me when I say this, Helvar, I know getting knocked out and waking up in strange surroundings isn't the friendliest way to start a partnership, but you didn't give us many options, so try to open your mind to the possibilities." Said Kaz.

"You could have come to me on your knees and my answer would be the same." His Fjerdan accent rounded his words.

A small part of Mavka was a bit glad to have another person with a thick accent around, some small and selfish part that she swatted away right after. She'd realised it was ridiculous.