Chapter 23

Carson's POV

He stood behind the stage, fingers tugging nervously at the end of his sleeves.

It was finally the day of the talent show and Carson was the last one to perform. He had peeked behind the curtains and easily spotted his father in the crowd sitting next to his friend. Then he spotted Ben, sitting in the front with the other members of their group who weren't performing, looking confused and glancing at the door every so often.

Carson knew he was waiting for him because he didn't tell anyone he planned to perform. In fact, he even arrived late so no one would see him waiting backstage. He still watched all the performances from outside the door. 

Taylor and Jae ended up doing a mixed dance choreography that included hip-hop as well as contemporary styles. It was amazing the way they had blended the styles into one and made a duet.

Meena sang while Sky played the piano for her. Emmet ended up doing his duet of 'Baby it's cold outside' with none other than Angel Williams. 

He was happy to see everyone, even those he didn't know, show off their talents. Their school never really gave people that opportunity and it was nice to bring people together before the holidays.

Finally, the last of the performers had finished and left the stage. He waited until Meena returned to the stage, looking at the list to announce the last participant. She heard her voice cut out in surprise and looked to see a large smile take over her face as she read the last name.

"Carson Parker."

He steeled himself before stepping out from behind the curtains. The first face he noticed was Ben's. Shock at first before he grinned up at him. He noticed Taylor shoot him a thumbs up while Emmet nodded in approval. 

He took the mic from Meena who looked at him with proud brown eyes before returning to her seat. These were the faces he focused on when he started reading.

He couldn't sing or dance and he wasn't a comedian but he could write. So he wrote a poem. It was about friendship because it was his friends that made him experience happiness for the first time since his mom died. It's them who gave him hope and it was them who made sure he was no longer alone.

He had to write it while convincing himself no one would ever see or hear it. That's the only way he could get himself to write his true thoughts and feelings.

When he met his friends eyes, he noticed the tears that had gathered and knew they knew what the poem was about. 

He wasn't expecting the applause that shook the gym when he finished or for all of his friends to rush onto the stage and pull him into a hug. He noticed his father standing in the crowd, a smile on his face and he felt his heart warm.

"You didn't tell me you were going to perform," Ben said in his ear. He turned and before he could reply, Ben's lips crashed against his. "You were amazing."

He smiled and crashed into Ben's chest, wrapping his arms around his back. His mic was still on when he said "I love you."

The gym erupted into more applause and he noticed the football team in the back. Reese looked angry while Angel looked guilty. He turned away, not wanting this moment of happiness to be ruined.

~

After his father and David had come up to congratulate them, the group headed out to celebrate. They ended up at Boston Pizza where they ordered a couple pizzas along with nachos to share.

School was out for the next two weeks and they were making plans to see each other over the break. 

"My family stays in town since it's just me and nana," said Meena. "Sky's family also all live here in the city."

"My family's here too," said Noah. "I better get to see you over the holiday." He directed this at Carson.

Carson nodded. "I'm not going anywhere."

It turned out that Jae was the only one with family she usually visited in Korea but she would try to convince them to only go for a week instead of the whole winter vacation. 

"If you're leaving, I'm coming with you." Pouted Taylor.

"My family would love for you to come." Said Jae.

Taylor gasped in surprised. "Really?"

Jae nodded. "They said you could stay with us for the holidays while your parents are being assholes."

Taylor threw her arms around Jae's neck. "I love you!"

Everyone at the table was smiling and happy, talking about their plans for the break and even thinking about the next project they could work on. That's when Carson noticed a small blonde figure head toward their table. 

He nudged Ben, who noticed what he was looking at. The chatter died down as Angel Williams approached their table. He kept his eyes on the floor as he cleared his throat. "Hi."

"What do you want?" Said Ben none too kindly. 

Angel looked on the verge of tears so Carson gave Ben a warning look. "I- I wanted to apologize. For how I treated you and Killian. It wasn't right and I know I don't deserve forgiveness for my actions but I just wanted you to know that I really am sorry."

He finally looked up and Carson saw the tears sliding down his cheeks. A loud noise stopped them from responding and they looked over at the table full of football players. Reese had stood up and was making his way over to them.

He grabbed Angel by the arm and pulled him away. "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"Apologizing." Angel's voice wavered and for a second, it looked like Reese was about to hit him before he realized he wasn't alone. 

"Come on," he started tugging Angel away but Emmett stood up and moved to block Reese's path.

"Let him go."

"Or what?" Reese sneered.

"It's okay," Angel said, voice strained. "I should head back anyway."

"No, it's not alright. Let him go." Emmett stood his ground. 

Meena stood up. "Reese, let him go and leave."

Reese looked at her for a moment before curling his lip but he did release Angel and went back to the other football players. Angel was rubbing his arm, shaking. 

Emmett put his arm around him. "I'm going to take him home, guys."

They all nodded, watching them leave. Jae and Taylor were the next ones to leave seeing as Jae still had a curfew and then Meena and Sky, leaving just him and Ben. 

"I still can't believe you didn't tell me you were planning to perform. How long were you planning it?"

"I came to the decision about a week before."

Ben tsked. They finished their food before paying, everyone else had already sent them money to pay for their portions. 

It was cold out and the sky was already dark despite only being just after six. Ben pulled him to his side but despite the cold and the car that was parked ten feet away, they decided to just walk around for a bit, enjoying the fresh air. 

They found themselves and despite the ice coating the bench, Ben took a seat before pulling Carson down on his lap. "So your butt doesn't get wet." He justified.

Carson grinned. "Sure that's all it is?"

Ben held a hand up to his heart in mock offence. "What kind of pervert do you think I am?"

Carson answered his question by pressing their lips together and turning himself so he straddled Ben's waist. He pulled back when he felt Ben harden under him. "Exactly."

Ben rolled his eyes. "That ones not even my fault."

Carson laughed, the sound filling the night and after a moment, Ben joined him. Their laughter echoed through the silent park, the sound of cars distant. In this moment, it was only them.

Two individuals from two different worlds finding love in each other despite the odds. 

The End