Chapter 1.5

"No, I don't bloody think so!" Ron exploded, unable to stay calm anymore. "I haven't even started on fifth year yet."

"Ron—" Harry said.

"Fifth year... fifth year you two were glued to each other's side! I thought: this is actually happening. I took a loan out from Fred and George and doubled my investment in the betting pool. A loan from the twins! Mum almost killed me when she found out. But I thought it was worth it. A brilliant move and right on time too. Do you know how hard it was to be around you two when Hermione did her weird protective girlfriend thing whenever Cho was mentioned? All that flirting?"

He put his hand on his hip and imitated Hermione in a high pitched voice: "Of course you're not a bad kisser, Harry!"

Harry appeared pensive. "That's right. You were rather certain of that fact after I told you about my experience with Cho. Very, very certain. Almost like you had given it a lot of thought..."

Hermione's cheeks flushed. "Oh, shut up. Especially you, Ron! Why are you only going after me? Harry was horrible at it too!"

"Was I? I don't recall." Harry sounded amused.

"But I don't think you're ugly," Hermione said and Ron perked up his ears in interest. Now this was a conversation he hadn't witnessed. "I was trying to give you advice about Cho and you hit me with that line. What was a girl supposed to think after that?"

"That—that wasn't flirting!" Harry's ears turned red. "I was just telling the truth, that's all. I don't think you're ugly. I never have."

Hermione's eyes were shining.

Ron rolled his eyes. "See, this is exactly what I was talking about. You were all wholesome and sickeningly sweet and supportive together. Harry, you would come straight to Hermione whenever you felt down about the lessons with Snape or the detentions with Umbridge. It was a bit surreal to watch. The way you relaxed around her and could finally breathe. The way Hermione managed to calm you down even when you were in your crazy rages. Sometimes, even I didn't want to get in your way that year. But Hermione? She never backed down. And I thought for sure you would see that.

"I think that was the first year I started to feel the distance too, the difference between our relationships. You were inseparable that year. Planning and making decisions together, leading the DA side by side, acting like some sort of perfect duo—what was I, the next door neighbor?"

"Ron, no—" Hermione tried to interrupt, her voice much softer than before.

"Oh, don't get me wrong," he waved a hand at her dismissively. "I wasn't mad about that. I was happy. Finally, I thought. Finally, these idiots would get a clue and I could maybe even buy the new Chudley Cannons limited fan edition for Christmas with my winnings—"

"Ron—" The annoyed tone that he was so familiar with was back.