Prologue

August 3rd, 1932

His long fingers threaded the final flower through the crown that lay above her head. "My beautiful daughter," he said, admiring the way she spun in circles.

"Papa!" the small girl exclaimed. "I look like a princess!"

The goblin's face screwed up in a sour manner. "Do not say such foolish things my child." A small frown tugged at the corner of the child's lips. "I'm sorry." He bent down and peered sympathetically into her honey eyes. "It is not wise to say such things, Ostara. People in these villages talk. You will sound mad."

"Can I go find Sebastian?" she asked with wide eyes.

"He is busy. He is helping his mother tend to their garden."

There was a pause as Ostara looked down and fiddled with her skirt. "Papa, where is my mother?" she asked in a tone as sweet as mulled wine.

"She is gone. A selfish woman, unfit to care for a child." His replies were short, sharp and admittedly bitter. Of course Ostara did not know about her true heritage.

How she was a debt owed for the gold Rumplestiltskin spun for her mother. What selfish women would agree to give up her firstborn child, all for gold?

To him, Ostara was priceless. He would give up all the gold in the world for a child as euphonious as her. The perfect daughter. Beautiful and kind. She was a little mischievous at times, but she was raised by him, the father of trickery after all.

"Come inside now Ostara, I shall craft you a new dress; a golden colour to match your hair and eyes." With that, she smiled. When Ostara smiled, it was as if the whole forest smiled with her.

"I wish I could do magic like you," she said, as they made their way inside. "If I am really your daughter, will I be able to craft beautiful dresses with magic one day, like you?"

"What the future holds is unknown to all." They sat at the table as Rumplestiltskin pulled an old piece of fabric from the shelf. "But if there's one thing I wish for you to know for certain Ostara, it is that even the most calculating tricksters can be played."

"I'm not sure what you mean by that," the young girl said. She was only six after all.

"It means trick others any chance you get, before they trick you." He moved his hands around the fabric, pulling and tugging at the sides until it transformed into a lavish garment.

Ostara glowed at the sight of her new gown. "Thank you Papa! I will never take it off!" The goblin smiled and chuckled lightly. "I will make you proud one day. And I will do it all whilst wearing your dresses."

"You are destined for great things my child. But never forget your roots lay in this forest, with me, your father. Now go see if Sebastian has finished in the garden."

She skipped off through the woods to find her friend.

Ostara learnt two very valuable lessons that day, two things that she carried with her onto the Hogwarts express her first day at Hogwarts.

One, her father meant the world to her. And two, she would create chaos wherever her feet carried her.

Warning: This story will contain mature and possibly triggering themes such as violence, toxic relationships and eventual smut. I advise you to read with caution or avoid this story completely if these things can be triggering for you as I will not be placing trigger warnings before chapters.

This story will not be canon compliant!

Be kind to yourselves and love always,

- Lilith <3