Depression

There are many myths about depression, often used by people, and these usually spread fast. So.. let's clear some of these myths.

First myth: Depression is not real. Now first of all: This usually comes from people that never experienced it themselves. They say being depressed equals being ungrateful. They say that depressed people just have too much. This is not true. Depression is often caused by difficult family situations and trauma, but it can also come out of the blue. Besides that statistics show that 5% of the world's population are depressed. Try telling that 350 Million people that depression is not real.

Second myth: Depression can't be cured, you just have to deal with it. Again: This is not true. With the right treatment and effort depression can be cured. On your own it won't work, but with a therapist to talk to and some other professionals it is possible. This negative outlook on depression can really make you think in a negative way, which would nourish your depression even more.

Third myth: You need to take pills.  Again: Wrong. You don't necessary need pills to cure depression, They can be of help, but it's yours and your doctor's decision if you should take them. I, for example, chose not to take pills for personal reasons and just go to therapy. 

Now that we got that straight...how should you behave around a depressed person? This really depends on the individual. But let them know that you are there for them if they need to talk and don't pressure them into talking with you. That would just encourage them to speak less with you. Inform them about their option to have therapy. Tell them you could go together. Again: Offer, don't pressure. It's very hard for the person in that situation and they may not even understand fully that they are depressed. This is why you should be careful and sensitive. Encourage them to do a check at the hospital and inform themselves.

If you are dealing with depression, just know that you are not alone and that there are 350 Million other people that have the same problem. You are not a hopeless case and you are definitely worth saving. If you are suicidal you should immediately make an appointment at the hospital or tell someone close to you.

Following phone numbers you can call if you need to talk or are about to do it:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255 (Talk)

Samhsa:800-662-4357 (Help)

Useful websites are:

https://pschcentral.com/depression/depression-hotline-numbers

https://headsupguys.org/cope-with-depression/ 

https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/depression/how-to-deal-with-depression-tips-techniques-treatment/