Chapter 4: Reaching

"I hate you Remus!" Sirius' voice came out scratchy and raw.

The other rolled his eyes. "I can't fucking stand you ! There's nothing between me and Dora !"

"Whatever. Don't call me again."

And that was the end of it.

***

"So you're saying you could hear my brother in the phone ?"

Remus nodded. "Look I know this sounds crazy.."

"..Beyond crazy. I'm close to getting you a shrink."

The Blacks, always so straightforward.

The two of them sat in a coffe shop nearby. At least the December air won't bite them here. Slowly, Regulus stirs his latte.

"I can try sneak the phone out."

Remus looked hopeful. "Please. And there's something else I want to try with it."

Regulus raises his eyebrow.

The last few attempts had Sirius talking about his day. Remus has been noting down dates to track when he is in his timeline. But not the place.

It was a eureka moment when Remus stayed up one time, staring at the notebook scribbles filled with theories. He tried connecting each call.

He notices Sirius is always near the thriftshop. For instance, Sirius' apartment is not far off. Just to blocks away. Andromeda's birthday ? The very coffee shop they're eating in right now.

"What if we moved the phone to another place ? Would he be in a different day ?"

Regulus bit his tongue.

He understood why Sirius loved this man so much now. Even when they're a life time apart, he's still fighting for his brother.

"Alright, let me try calling in Grimmauld Place. Then I'll take it to yours.".

***

Regulus thanked every lucky star that his father has hearing loss as he grew older. He wouldn't hear the safe open and close.

He took the glowing red phone up to his room and stared at it.

If what Remus says is true, he's about to hear his dead brother's voice for the first time in 1 year .

He picked up the handset and put it against his ear.

The phone beeped.

"Holy shit.." Regulus muttered. The pen in his hand quivered.

"Oooh mother's not gonna like you cussing little brother."

Regulus drops the pen and clasps a hand over his mouth, shaking. Tears came to his eyes and down his cheeks.

"Si-Sirius ? Where are you ?"

"I'm at Downtown Plaza."

That's close by ! Remus is right !

"Y-you.. okay ?" Regulus asks. "Are you at that restaurant.."

A sigh. "Yes, that restaurant."

Of course.

That restaurant is actually a small italian restaurant.  It had nothing special. The owners weren't even italian to begin with. But Mariano's held Remus and Sirius' first date, first kiss, first anniversary.

Regulus would know. Sirius' voicemails were his treasured moments though he could never reply back.

"What's wrong Sirius ?"

"I broke up with Remus."

Regulus felt his stomach plunge. "Wh-what ?! How-"

"He's never home. Always at Hogwart's. Doesn't even call me anymore." A pause. "It's 2 weeks away from Christmas, Reg. Believe my luck !"

Doesn't even call me anymore...

"Let my wallow in pain Regulus." Sirius' voice was terribly hoarse. "You coming for the Christmas party at James' ?"

"I- Yes. Yes, I will."

A shocker. Regulus usually turns down any offer from Sirius. Their parents wouldn't want them close.

"That's the best thing I've heard today. I love you kid. See you there then."

"I.. love you too."

The line went dead and Regulus has a few questions for the ex boyfriend.