“Did I hear it correct, are we having the family dinners again?” Garret popped his head into the room grinning. Alright, I made two of my werewolves happy.

“Yes Garret, you heard me correct,” I said smiling.

Annabeth and Garret were mates and happily married. They were the perfect little family. They were struggling the first months of their marriage and that’s when my father offered them to leave with us. After that we got used to each other and they haven’t left since.

“Are we going to eat in the biggggg room?” Jennifer asked, referring to the dining room which haven’t been used in months.

“Yeah, we’re going to have dinner in the biggggg room,” I mimicked her again and Annabeth and Garret started laughing. I took in their happy faces and happy feelings. It made me even more sad to see them this happy and know that I’ll only be able to feel the happiness through someone else. I would never be able to feel my own happiness.

Not wanting to burst their bubble of happiness I stood up. “Do you mind passing the word along about dinner?” I asked Annabeth.

“No problem.”

I wandered through the house and looked at the furnished rooms. It had my mother’s name written all over it. Each section of the house had a different kind of interior and style. While some sections had a rustic kind of look others were more modern. Looking at the total picture everything matched strangely perfect together. Walking around I realized how much I missed not only my father, but also my mother.

Without thinking I ended up in my parents room. I stood a couple of minutes in the entrance leaning against the door panel. My mind flitted back to the days when I would stand in this same spot and watch my mother get ready for the day. At the time I thought of her as a fairy, because of the way she almost floated gracefully through the room.

A tear escaped and rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly hoping that it would be the last tear I shed, but I knew it wasn’t. More tears started to find their way out. I walked up to the bed and slumped down on the ground to the side that was facing the window as the tears traveled down my cheek.

I cursed aloud at myself for being weak. I held my knees to my chest and put my head on my knees rocking myself back and forth. Before I knew it I drifted off to sleep.

I felt a hand stroking my cheek. My eyes fluttered open and were met by a pair of beautiful green eyes. A slight brush crept up my cheeks because of how close he was.

“Jeff,” I whispered with my horse voice. “What are you doing here?”

“Anna invited me for dinner.” His warm breath blew over my face when he talked. Being this close to him made both my wolf and me feel uneasy.

His eyes landed on my lips for a second before they found my eyes again. I looked away trying to escape his intense gaze which was making me way too uncomfortable and confused. He was my beta and I had a mate. Which he doesn’t know about, my wolf reminded me. This is exactly why he should know.

I ignored her and took in our surrounding remembering where I was. The ache in my chest was back with full force when I noticed I was in my parents room.

“Are you ok?” Jeff asked concerned.

“Yeah fine,” I lied. “I’m going to freshen up and I’ll be down in a sec.” I gently pushed him away to make room for me to stand up.

“Are you sure you’re fine?” this time he saw through my lie.

I offered him my hand to get him to stand up. He took it without hesitation and lifted himself up.