Chapter 7: Humphrey's Burden

Derric stared down at the half-filled satchel. He'd stuffed everything he owned into it and still had more than enough room to double what was already in there.

"Do you think they'll come after us once they realize we've gone?" Sarah asked from her usual position on top of a hay bale. "And how long do you think it will take them to notice we aren't coming back?"

"There is no 'we.' You'll stay behind and tell the royals whatever Maria tells you to tell them." Derric said, closing up the satchel. "We'll be gone by first light, so I'm sure they'll notice when she isn't seen at breakfast."

"Maria never goes down for breakfast. She's under her curse until at least ten in the morning."

Derric paused and a disbelieving smile twisted his lips. "Ten in the morning?"

"Yes. Why? What's so funny?"

"Nothing." Derric scrutinized the horses' saddles. "It's just, I've never heard of a curse lasting from midnight until ten o'clock in the morning. Curses like the princess's are almost always sunset to sunrise."

"Well, hers isn't."

"Then how are we supposed to leave at first light? Won't she still be a swan?"

When Sarah said nothing, Derric went about his work. Silence settled around them until Sarah yawned.

"I'd best be getting to bed. I have to get up early to finish packing for Maria. See you at first light, Daniel."

"You aren't coming," he shouted after her, and turned to make a final check of the saddlebags. With the food Sarah brought and the maps he had on hand of the lands of Opea and nearby, they'd be able to care for their needs. His mother often went over the maps with him, teaching him the herbs and spices that could be found for whatever ailment a man might have. He tucked them in his satchel and pushed aside the memories of his childhood.

"Master Digson?"

With a start, Derric turned around. Prince Humphrey stood in the stable doorway, his shoulders slumped and his mouth downturned.

"Your Highness." Derric bowed, and once again the prince waved him off.

"None of that. I don't particularly care for it. Please call me Humphrey, Master Digson."

Derric ground his teeth against the name. "In that case, you should call me...call me Daniel."

"Very well, Daniel."

They stood there in awkward silence, Derric watching Humphrey as his gaze moved around the stables.

"Nice place, this," he said after a while, his lips twitching. "Cozy. Horses. Like 'em?"

"Yeah, I suppose I do." Derric shifted his weight and folded his arms across his chest. "Is there something you needed?"

All at once the prince crumpled. His face scrunched up, and he dropped down onto one of the crates near the door. Though no tears flowed forth, Humphrey let out a ragged, dry sob and shook his head.

"Need? Yes. I need to know if I'm doing the right thing. Am I doing the right thing?" He didn't wait for Derric's answer before continuing. "I'm the youngest of three sons. Maria's parents picked me from the lot of those vying for her hand. It's expected of me to become king over her land. I didn't even want to be a king! Mumsy and Dad have always pushed for that, but I wanted to be an actor! They want me to break this curse, but what if I can't? What if I'm a horrible king? What if I'm the least popular king ever, and every one of my subjects hates me? Would you want me as your king?"

Humphrey jumped to his feet and started pacing. "I'm expected to marry a girl I just met and live happily ever after with her. We were supposed to fall in love at first sight, right? But the thing is, I don't even know if I like her much right now. She attacked me! Look at the bite marks!"

Derric held still, perplexed as Humphrey waved his hand in front of his face. He wasn't sure what to say. Even if he did know, the prince wasn't stopping long enough to give him a chance to say anything anyway.

"I know princes are chivalrous and kind. I know a knight would do anything for his lady. I want to help Maria, but is it possible? You're the one who knows all about magic. Tell me, are we on a fool's errand, or do we stand a chance?"

The prince's energy had expended itself. He sagged, dropping back down onto the crate, and turned his basset hound gaze onto Derric.

"We're doing the right thing." Derric wasn't sure if he meant it or if it was just what Humphrey needed to hear. "I would do anything to help my princess."

Humphrey passed a hand over his face. "You're right. Even if I don't know how I feel about Maria, she needs our help. Man, I would hate turning into a swan every night. That has to be the worst."

"I don't know." Derric settled down next to Humphrey. "She could have turned into a badger. I think that would be worse."

A loud booming laugh erupted from Humphrey, who leaned away and slapped Derric hard on the back. "A badger! Good one! That would be worse."

"You know," Derric said, a grin tugging at one corner of his mouth. "For not even being sure if you like her, you fooled me today with your speech. I think you even had my sister weak in the knees."

Humphrey gave a modest toss of his head. "I'm an actor. It's what I do."

"Maybe that's our problem. Maybe it still is a True Love's Kiss Clause. After all, magic can always tell if you're acting."

"It can? Damn. I thought I'd been convincing enough."

"No, magic always knows what's in the heart." Derric tapped the place above his own, and Humphrey nodded.

"So either I actually fall in love with Maria, and we see if that works, or we go find the sorceress and get her to sort this out."

"Right."

"Well then, I suppose there's no use waiting around to fall in love. Let's get to finding a sorceress." He clapped Derric on the back and stood. "Thanks, mate. I feel better. I'm not used to traveling without my own manservant, but he married last month and is off on his honeymoon. The one they gave me here at the castle is a right ol' curmudgeon. Not the one to share a heart-to-heart with. Anyway, see you in the morning."

With that, Humphrey turned on his heel and strode out of the stables. Derric sat in stunned silence. Maybe being royalty didn't make someone much different from him after all.    

Hope you're enjoying this story! What do you think of Humphrey now? Has this changed your opinion of him at all?
As always, hit that pretty little star up in the right hand corner if you enjoyed it. See you at Chapter 8!