𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

Start from the beginning

Maybe this is her way of letting him down easy, to tell him she didn't want him like that without outwardly saying it.

But why didn't she want him?

As he finds the two in the sea of people once more, Ezra can feel another pang in his chest when he realizes they're coming to the table. Monte is preoccupied with keeping Billie standing up, which alerts Ezra that she is far more intoxicated than he anticipated. By the time they're at the table, Monte barely acknowledges him and begins reaching for her purse.

They were leaving to do god knows what, and she couldn't even stand up right. The thought makes Ezra's skin grow hot. Without thinking, he moves to slip out of the booth and towards them.

What are you doing?" Ezra grits over the music.

"She's had too much," Monte explains with a blank stare, clearly surprised by the question, "I'm taking her back to the bus."

"Like hell you are," Ezra scoffs.

Billie's eyes are pressed shut as she clings to the photographer, and Ezra can feel his stomach twist. "That's not what this is," Monte assures, "Sloane asked me to bring her back."

"Not fucking happening. Put her in the booth."

Monte nearly laughs at him, and Ezra can feel his right hand aching to connect with his jaw. To make matters worse the male begins moving towards the exit once more, and Ezra loses all control of his motions. His hand pressed into the other's chest, careful to remain on the side Billie isn't hanging on. "What's your problem?" Monte scoffs.

"You're not taking her," Ezra yells over the music, "Put her in the goddamn booth, and go get one of the girls."

Billie's eyes flutter open and she's staring at Ezra with such a puzzled look it nearly makes him weak. "I want to go home," she mumbles out, and Monte's grip around her tightens.

"It's okay, Bill," Monte assures, "We're going." That fucking nickname makes matters even worse for the photographer. Ezra takes a step forward, fingers reaching out toward the femme before a familiar figure steps in front of him.

"What are you doing?" Jude yells over the music, eyes piercing into Ezra's.

"Fuckin' look at her," Ezra protests, "She can't even stand up."

"Sloane asked me to bring her back," Monte interjects, which causes Jude to angle himself to see both men.

"Is that what this is about?" Jude practically groans, attention turning towards Ezra. "This isn't some random guy, Ez. They're together. What's the fuckin' problem?"

Ezra can feel his jealousy bubbling over. They're together. It was so obvious that even Jude knew it. Everyone must've known, too. Everyone but Ezra. Of course, Sloane had asked Monte to bring her back. Who else would she trust?

By now, Ezra had made such a scene that Sloane and Sky are making their way over with worried visages. "What's going on?" Sloane questions, arms crossed over her chest. 

"I'm trying to take Billie back to the bus, but he won't let me," Monte explains, clearly at his own wits end with the altercation.

Now, Sloane is staring directly at Ezra, and she's giving him such a look that he's almost certain that she can see right through his and Billie's charade. "I appreciate your concern, but I asked him to," the bassist confirms, "considering Monte has done it for all the other times we've been out and she's had too much."

How many times had she done this before? Ezra nearly feels sick at the thought. 

"I'll go get the car," Sky offers before moving past the group and heading out the exit. It's clear she's not trying to get involved in the shitshow Ezra created.

"I didn't know," Ezra admits through a clenched jaw, and he tries to ignore the pangs in his chest. God, he looks so fucking stupid creating a scene over some guy just taking his girl home.

It's clear now more than ever that Billie isn't his, she's someone else's.

"Why would you?" Sloane practically spits before turning towards Monte, "C'mon. I'll help you take her to the car."

Before they can begin to even move towards the exit, Sky is already making her way back to them while shaking her head furiously. "There's no way," she alerts, "Someone told the paparazzi Grand Motel was here. I could barely tell the guys to bring the car around."

"Have them go out the back," Jude offers, and Monte shakes his head as his hand remains glued to Billie's side. It's amazing how she's remained nearly unreachable throughout this entire ordeal, and Ezra is sickened by the way she rests against his chest so willingly.

"There's no back exit," Monte explains, "I already asked one of the bouncers."

"She can't be seen like this," Sloane protests, "Monica will quite literally kill us. We have meetings with investors all this upcoming week."

Of all people, Ezra knows what it's like to have the media ruin a reputation. One bad night could change everything, and he isn't willing to let them make a quick buck at Billie's expense. She and girlcrush are so new to the industry, it feels almost wrong to let fame destroy them this soon in their career.

"I'll take her," Ezra interjects, and everyone looks at him as if he's gone mad.

"How the fuck does that fix anything?" Sloane spits in his direction once more, and Ezra makes a point of taking off his jacket in order to share his idea.

"They don't know what she's wearing since they weren't here when we came in. If I put this over her head, it'll look like I'm going home with some girl I don't want them to see. No one is going to think it's her."

"Absolutely not," Sloane protests, "Are you crazy?"

"He's right," Jude admits reluctantly, "They're mostly looking for Ezra. If they see him leaving with someone, we can wait it out a bit and the rest will try to follow the car to catch a glimpse."

"Then why doesn't he just leave alone and we all wait it out?" Monte suggests, and Ezra's eyes pierce into his. The guy is lucky Jude is standing between them and Billie is still clinging to him, otherwise he'd be on the goddamn floor.

"You want to stay here and risk that one of them sneaks in to take pictures of her passed out on you, then be my fucking guest," Ezra replies with an ambivalent shrug. "Me leaving a club isn't exactly breaking news. So, don't expect them to be satisfied with those pictures."

With much reluctance, Monte turns to Sloane. She's clearly weighing her options, and the fact that she so obviously distrusts him makes Ezra wonder if Billie's bandmates could ever like him. Perhaps tonight he could change their mind, or at least prove them wrong.

"You can take her home," Sloane permits, "and that's it. You bring her to the bus and then you walk your ass right out because I'm coming as soon as this all clears up."

"She's safe with me," Ezra assures, "I promise." Sloane's gaze softens for a moment, and it's clear she believes him. Hell, how could she not? He had nearly cracked Monte's entire skull over her safety.

Ezra pushes past Jude and carefully reaches for Billie's forearm. She lets out a groan, eyes fluttering open as she looks up at him. "Ezra," she breathes, and he prays she doesn't say anything else. The last thing he needs is her spilling anything about them that she'd been dying to keep hidden.

Monte, meanwhile, stands there dumbfounded and unwilling to let go of her just yet. "We're going back to the bus now," Ezra assures with eyes staring directly into Monte's as a clear warning to let go. It doesn't take much convincing after that for him to allow her to peel herself off him and reach out for Ezra.

Billie's delicate fingers grip the fabric of his shirt, and Ezra's heart thuds rapidly in his ears. She nuzzles into his chest, eyes pressing shut once more. He can feel his stomach drop at the thought of her or anyone he cared about ever having to see him this intoxicated. Is this what it feels like?

"Alright, go," Jude adds, clearly trying to patch this whole situation over before it escalates. Frankly, there is nothing any of them can do. The paparazzi won't leave until they get a story, and Ezra is going to give them one at the expense of his image to save Billie's.

There goes all his hard work this past week.